The Muscular Dystrophy Campaign’s ‘Get Moving’ report has revealed that many people with sever muscle-wasting conditions are waiting too long for their wheelchairs.
The key points from the report are:
- 70% of patients wait more than three months, 30% wait six months, and 15% wait more than a year for a specialist type of wheelchair.
- Half of NHS patients do not receive full funding for specialised chairs, with families struggling to cover the costs which can amount to thousands.
- There is a long waiting list for repairs, and more than 30% have to self-fund upkeep of wheelchairs.
- Patients given unsuitable wheelchairs due to lack of understanding in NHS. Around 30% forced to use unsuitable wheelchairs.
- ‘Get Moving’ concerned Occupational Therapists do not consider changing needs of individuals.
More top news
See what our 'Ballot Box' families made of the opposition party leaders going head to head in last night's live TV debate.
Vicky Westwood from Stourbridge died four months ago after being sent hundreds of letters claiming to be part of a lottery deal.
Generally dry and settled.