The Muscular Dystrophy Campaign’s ‘Get Moving’ report has revealed that many people with sever muscle-wasting conditions are waiting too long for their wheelchairs.
The key points from the report are:
- 70% of patients wait more than three months, 30% wait six months, and 15% wait more than a year for a specialist type of wheelchair.
- Half of NHS patients do not receive full funding for specialised chairs, with families struggling to cover the costs which can amount to thousands.
- There is a long waiting list for repairs, and more than 30% have to self-fund upkeep of wheelchairs.
- Patients given unsuitable wheelchairs due to lack of understanding in NHS. Around 30% forced to use unsuitable wheelchairs.
- ‘Get Moving’ concerned Occupational Therapists do not consider changing needs of individuals.
More top news
A band of rain will cross all parts during the first part of the night, and it will become windy. Turning largely dry by dawn.
Cloud thickening this evening with a spell of heavier rain crossing all parts, clearing during the early hours of Saturday. Becoming windy.
A family have spoken of their shock after a car ploughed into their house while they were eating breakfast - leaving a gaping hole.