As otters start appearing in the waters of the Midlands again, here are some fun facts about the slippery creatures you may not have known:
- Their 'favourite' food are eels, but they're not fussy. They'll eat any fish or small mammal.
- Males have a 'home range' of up to 40km of river and associated water courses.
- Otters are fiercely territorial - fighting is common and can be to the death.
- Females give birth to two or three cubs per litter. When this happens the male moves out of their home, called a 'holt' and moves into a place of his own. He plays no part in rearing baby.
- They are a protected animal under the Conservation of Habitats and Species Regulations 2010.
More top news
A consultation begins today on how Leicester's Golden Mile could look if a proposed revamp is given the go-ahead.
After a dry start with some sunny spells, cloud will thicken to bring some outbreaks of rain across the region from late morning.
After a largely fine morning with some sunshine, cloud and showery rain will gradually spread in from the west from early afternoon.