The Highways Agency has revealed its top 10 worst excuses for parking up on the hard shoulder.
- One motorist pulled over because they saw fire” on their dashboard display, it later turned out it was the name of the Adele track they were listening to.
- One motorist parked up and fell asleep on the M6.
- People stopping to read a map or check their sat navs.
- Two car owners halfway through the selling and buying process for one of the cars.
- One driver realised their car insurance policy was up for renewal – they were ringing around for quotes to renew.
- A group of motorcyclists parked on the hard shoulder on the M1 to review their route and have a drink.
- Taxi drivers waiting on the hard shoulder around airports for their client's flights to arrive.
- A mobile phone operator, stopping at regular intervals in their private car carrying out signal tests on the hard shoulder.
- A driver who stopped to pick flowers.
- A couple who wanted to take pictures of their new born grandchild in their open top sports car, as it was "a lovely day".
It comes as figures revealed more than 400 drivers in the West Midlands had broken the by stopping in the restricted lane, despite there not being an emergency.
More top news
Early fog patches will be slow to clear, but then a bright morning with sunny spells.
Fog may be slow to clear on Sunday morning, but once it does there will be sunny spells.
Mist and fog overnight, slow to clear on Sunday.