Live updates

Wolverhampton man missing after hurricane in Mexico

A man from Wolverhampton and his girlfriend are missing at sea, after a hurricane hit the coast of Mexico.

Paul Whitehouse, a scuba diving instructor, had been living on a yacht out there for two years.

Tonight a friend of Paul's says they are desperate for news.

Charlotte Grant reports.

Advertisement

Helicopters searching for Wolverhampton man after Mexico hurricane

Paul Whitehouse and his partner are missing in Mexico Credit: Facebook

Helicopters are being used to search for a man from Wolverhampton and his partner who have gone missing following a hurricane in Mexico.

Paul Whitehouse and Simone Wood went missing when their yacht overturned in La Paz in Baja California.

Paul Whitehouse and Simone Wood Credit: Diverse Scuba

The pair are thought to have been living on their yacht in La Paz for around a year.

Paul Whitehouse and his partner Simone Wood Credit: Diverse Scuba

Hurricane Odile left a trail of destruction when it hit the Baja California Peninsula last Sunday.

We are in touch with the local authorities and are providing consular assistance to the families at this difficult time.

– Foreign Office spokeswoman
  1. National

Missing British couple in Mexico named

The British couple missing in Mexico have been named as Paul Whitehouse and Simone Wood.

Simone Wood and Paul Whitehouse are missing after a hurricane in Mexico. Credit: Diverse Scuba

The BBC reports friends of the couple saying they were on a yacht which capsized off the coastal town of La Paz on the Baja peninsula.

Mr Whitehouse, from Wolverhampton, is reported to have been working as a scuba diving instructor in the resort for about a year.

The Foreign Office has said it is providing consular assistance to the families "at this difficult time".

Wedgwood Museum appeal raises more than £2m

The public appeal has launched more than £2m Credit: Wedgwood Museum

A public appeal launched to save the Wedgwood Museum pottery collection has raised more than £2m.

The collection is currently being sold to pay the Stoke-on-Trent firm's pension bill.

The museum went into administration in 2010 after the firm collapsed and its £134m pension debts were transferred to the museum trust.

The Art Fund launched the £2.74m public appeal at the start of September. It is part of a full £15.75m fundraising campaign which has already raised more than £13m from the Heritage Lottery Fund, the Art Fund and other private support.

It leaves the appeal with just under £750,000 of the full £15.75m target still to raise.

With just under £750,000 to go, we continue to talk to several further potential funders.

The remarkable affection and concern for the Wedgwood Collection has never been so profoundly visible as through the convergence of so many individuals, trusts and foundations.

Every single donor in the community of givers should be immensely proud of the scale of what has been achieved to date.

– Stephen Deuchar, director of the Art Fund

The Art Fund has until 30 November to save the Wedgwood Collection.

Neil Dalton was 'better than words can describe'

Friends of murdered Derbyshire student Neil Dalton said he was 'better than words can describe' and deserves to be remembered like that.

Belper Amateurs cricket club who Neil used to play for, took part in a charity cricket tournament today, in his memory.

Neil, a medical student at Newcastle University, was stabbed to death in Borneo, Malaysia last month alongside fellow student, Aidan Brunger.

The money raised will be donated to the Anthony Nolan Trust.

Advertisement

Samantha Morton: Police have 'no record of complaint'

Nottinghamshire police say they have checked their files and have found no record of a complaint of this nature made by Samantha Morton.

Police say they recently contacted the actress to ask if she wished to make a complaint so they can begin an investigation but she has not wished to take the matter further.

If an offence has been committed with need Miss Morton to confirm that she wishes to make an allegation so we can investigate this matter not only to help Miss Morton attain justice but also to help others who have been victims and to protect children who may still be at risk.

– Nottinghamshire Police

Samantha Morton tells of sexual abuse

Bafta winner Samantha Morton tells of abuse by care workers in Nottingham Credit: PA Pictures

Waiving her her right to anonymity in the wake of a report detailing sexual exploitation of 1,400 children over a period of 16 years in Rotherham, South Yorkshire, she told The Guardian that she was abused by two male residential care workers in Nottingham aged just 13.

She said that although she had reported the abuse which took place in Nottingham, to both police and social services, neither authority formally investigated.

She said: "There was no support, no offer of counselling, no wanting to delve deeper ... Maybe they just assumed I had been abused already, or was being, anyway."

She added: "I just wanted to go public with this, to say, we know it's rife but why are there not further investigations into other areas? It isn't just Rotherham, I'm sure it's not just Rotherham."

Nottinghamshire Police Superintendent Helen Chamberlain told the paper she had spoken to Morton about the allegations but they had not amounted to a criminal offence and the actress had not reported them as one.

Charity cricket tournament in memory of Neil Dalton

Friends of murdered Derbyshire student Neil Dalton are gathering in Belper, in Derbyshire to play a cricket tournament in his memory today.

Neil, a medical student, was stabbed to death in Borneo, Malaysia, last month. Fellow Newcastle University student, Aidan Brunger, was also killed.

Called Neil's Day - the event will see teams from Belper and Ambergate compete against each other. It has been arranged by the Belper Amateurs - for whom Neil Dalton played.

Neil Dalton who was murdered in Borneo Credit: ITV News Central

Malala's father: Arrests 'good news for family'

Malala Yousufzai Credit: Oli Scarff/PA Wire

A group of Taliban militants responsible for shooting Malala Yousufzai, a teenage activist targeted for her campaign against the terrorist group's efforts to deny girls education, have been arrested, Pakistan's army said.

Malala's father has welcomed the news.

This is good news for our family and most importantly, for the people of Pakistan and the civilised world. This first step of apprehending Malala’s attackers signifies the beginning of real hope for the hundreds of thousands of people whose lives have been affected by terrorism in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, in Swat and the whole country. We greatly appreciate the efforts of the security forces and police in bringing these men to justice and fighting for the reestablishment of peace. This is the beginning of the real restoration of the writ of the government, where the rule of law and justice prevails for all.

– Ziauddin Yousafzai - Malala's father
Load more updates