Jersey Samaritans are offering helpful tips for islanders in efforts to prevent suicide.
It is part of the charity's awareness campaign called 'Talk To Us', which is aimed at getting people to improve their listening skills.
The charity's issued SHUSH, its top listening tips.
- Show you care: focus just on the other person, make eye contact, put away your phone
- Have patience: it may take time and several attempts before a person is ready to open up
- Use open questions: that need more than a yes/no answer, & follow up e.g. ‘Tell me more’
- Say it back: to check you’ve understood, but don’t interrupt or offer a solution
- Have courage: don’t be put off by a negative response and, most importantly, don’t be afraid to leave silence.
Volunteers will be out in St Helier on Saturday 22nd July offering advice and information on how to support friends and relatives who may need help.