New plans released today suggest a full restructure of the States of Guernsey.
The States Review Committee has proposed reducing the number of Deputies from 45 to 38, and replacing the current departments with six committees:
- Committee for Economic Development
- Committee for Education, Sport and Culture
- Committee for Employment, Housing and Social Security
- Committee for Environment and Infrastructure
- Committee for Health and Social Care
- Committee for Home Affairs
All Committees would be made up of five States members, and up to two non-members.
The States Review Committee says this would save around £1 million every year, by reducing the States' salary bill.
But the current Culture and Leisure Minister says it's important not to dilute the service provided by departments that are merged.
Revealed today, the plan would reduce the number of Deputies, and replace departments with committees.