The GSPCA is warning dog owners in Guernsey about a white substance that has been found on the island's beaches.
Yesterday, the Environment Department issued its own message of advice to islanders, and said it's cleaning up the substance where it is found:
We have had reports of the white oily substance being seen along Vazon and the Environment Department and the GSPCA would like to warn all dog owners along the coast of the potential dangers to their pets.
We don't know if it is palm oil which has been seen in the past and this is a white oily looking substance, which if ingested can kill a dog so please keep a very close eye on them when along the coast.
The main problems are vomiting and diarrhoea and these can lead to dehydration, particularly in young or small dogs.
There is also a potential risk of pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreatitis) which can result in vague, non-specific signs including vomiting and diarrhoea.
This is a risk in dogs that eat a large amount of any fatty or oily food substance.
At the GSPCA we would suggest anyone with a dog that has eaten palm oil contact their vet immediately for advice, particularly if the dog is already unwell.
There is no specific treatment but the dog may need medication to control vomiting and intravenous fluid to treat or prevent dehydration."
The Environment Department is asking people to let them know if they spot the substance, by calling 717200.
More top news
Doctors in Jersey say the mother of a newborn baby left at the hospital's emergency department, won't need to pay to have a checkup.
People with disabilities in Jersey will be protected from discrimination in future, after politicians agreed a new law today.
Sandpiper has announced it has purchased Jersey’s only covered Shopping Centre, Liberty Wharf.