1. ITV Report

Timeline: the key events that brought about justice

Shafilea's mother Farzana during the trial at Chester Crown Court. Photo: Cheshire Police

4 October 2002

Teacher Joanne Code refers case of Shafilea Ahmed to social services after Shafilea attended school with injuries to her face.

9 October 2002

Shafilea tells friends her parents have been hitting her because they think she has been sleeping with boys.

11 October 2002

The teenager tells a social worker she is to be married in Pakistan in February 2003.

20 November 2002

Shafilea tells a school friend she is running away because her parents "will not let her be".

January 2003

Shafilea runs away to Blackburn with a male friend, Mushtaq Bagas. She tells him about the domestic violence she is suffering at the hands of her parents and the fact they are forcing her into a marriage in Pakistan with a cousin against her will.

February 2003

Shafilea runs away again and tells housing officers: "My parents are going to send me to Pakistan and I'll be married to someone and left there."

10 February 2003

Iftikhar Ahmed snatches Shafilea as she is walking to college, bundles her in the car and takes her back home.

19 February 2003

Ms Code reports Shafilea missing again but Farzana Ahmed tells police the teenager has gone to Pakistan.

May 2003

In Pakistan, Shafilea refuses to go ahead with any arranged marriage and drinks bleach in protest. She is brought back to the UK where she spends eight weeks in hospital.

11 September 2003

Shafilea is murdered in the family home by her mother and father after another row about her western clothing. She was not reported missing for a week.

December 2003

Iftikhar and Farzana Ahmed are arrested on suspicion of kidnapping the youngster.

February 2004

Shafilea's body is found in the River Kent near Sedgwick, Cumbria. Two post-mortem examinations were unable to establish a cause of death.

April 2004

Shafilea's parents lead 150 mourners at her funeral at Warrington Islamic Community Centre. Their solicitor claims police officers "jumped to conclusions" when they arrested the couple.

June 2004

The parents are released without charge after the Crown Prosecution Service rules there was insufficient evidence against them.

January 2005

Shafilea's parents accuse Cheshire Police of making "no progress" in the hunt for her killer and say they will sue.

January 2008

Pathologist Dr Alison Armour told the inquest into her death it was "not credible" that she died of natural causes. Although a cause of death could not be established for certain, Dr Armour said the teenager was "probably" smothered or strangled. Coroner Ian Smith rules she had been unlawfully killed.

August 2010

Shafilea's youngster sister, Alesha, is arrested on suspicion of armed robbery at the family home. She tells police that she witnessed the murder.

September 2010

Parents Iftikhar and Farzana are re-arrested by Cheshire Police, this time on suspicion of Shafilea's murder, and released on bail.

April 2011

Alesha pleads guilty to robbery.

September 2011

Police charge Iftikhar and Farzana with Shafilea's murder.

December 2011

Iftikhar and Farzana enter not guilty pleas to murder at Manchester Crown Court.

May 2012

The trial begins at Chester Crown Court.

3 August 2012

Iftikhar and Farzana Ahmed are found guilty of murdering their daughter Shafilea.

More on this story