1. ITV Report

Trio to be sentenced over attack on Manchester student

Three people face sentence for an attack on a student Photo: PA Images

Two men and a woman will be sentenced for their part in an attack on a student from Barnsley who was robbed, beaten and left for dead in a stream.

Daniel Whiteley, 19, was frogmarched to a park in Manchester where he was forced to hand over his bank card and pin number.

He was kicked and stamped on and then thrown unconscious into a freezing cold culvert as his assailants left and withdrew cash from his account.

Michael Brownlie, 26, of Erneley Close, Longsight, and Nicholas Lindsay, 22, of Aked Close, Longsight, pleaded guilty to attempted murder last month ahead of a scheduled trial at Manchester Crown Court, and admitted robbery.

Lindsay's girlfriend, Katie Mongan, 18, of Mount Road, Longsight, was also due to go on trial for attempted murder but her guilty plea to an alternative count of causing grievous bodily harm with intent was accepted by the Crown. She too admitted robbery.

The first-year English student at the University of Manchester came across the defendants by chance as he ate in Krunchy Fried Chicken takeaway in Fallowfield after enjoying a night out with fellow students at a city centre bar.

It is understood one of the defendants had been asking passers-by for cigarettes and that Mr Whiteley was also approached but he had none to give and was met with abuse by Mongan who staff asked to leave the shop in the early hours of February 28.

Mr Whiteley later bumped into the trio as he walked home and again Mongan was the main aggressor as he was accused of being disrespectful towards them.

The student was told to hand over his watch and shoved into nearby Platt Fields park, robbed of his mobile phone and bank card and subjected to the assault which rendered him unconscious.

He was carried over a fence and thrown into the water by Lindsay and Mongan's half-brother Brownlie but a passing cyclist heard a groan from the stream several hours after the attack and Mr Whiteley was pulled out of the water by paramedics.