1. ITV Report

Minute's silence to be held for Mike Jones

Mike Jones Photo: New York Red Bulls

A minute's silence will be held today for the Lancashire football coach stabbed to death in New York.

Mike Jones, 25, from Tarleton, was found with a severed ear and stab wounds to his torso and neck in the early hours of Sunday.

A minute's silence will be held today before matches played by Mike's old team Tarleton Corinthians and both teams will wear black armbands.

A tribute will also be held at Tarleton's rivals Hesketh Bank, who will wear the Corinthians kit in memory of Mike.

The tribute will also be repeated at all the junior matches played at all ages by Tarleton's youth teams.

The tribute comes after it emerged on Friday that the man police suspect of stabbing Mike, 32-year-old Orlando Orea, left a note apologising for his actions before reportedly leaving the United States.

Police sources told the New York Daily News that suspect Orea bought a one-way ticket with cash shortly before he flew out of Kennedy International Airport. He left the country early Tuesday morning about 15 hours before detectives identified him and asked for him to be placed on a no-fly list.

Detectives spoke to a woman who believed she spoke to Orea in a bar close to the murder scene shortly before the incident.

Mr Jones, who coached the juniors of US Major Soccer League team New York Red Bulls, was rushed to hospital from near 25 West 14th Street but was pronounced dead on arrival.

The Daily News reported the suspect may have gone on to attack the football coach in the street after mistaking him for someone he had an argument with inside Bunga's Den bar.

Mexico has an extradition treaty with the United States in cases where there is no possibility of a death penalty, as there would not be in New York State, the newspaper added.

The father of Mr Jones's girlfriend, Bryeanna Murphy, said his daughter met him six months ago.

Tim Murphy told the newspaper: "She still can't believe this has happened and that it is real.

"He was a great guy and was very happy."

Miss Murphy was among hundreds of mourners who attended a church memorial service yesterday.

Many of those paying their respects wore Red Bulls shirts with "Jonesy" printed on the back.

Mr Jones's parents, Perry and Carole, are following developments in the inquiry from their home in Tarleton and want his body returned to the UK as soon as possible.

More on this story