Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Boy hurt in Manchester firework explosion

A busy time for fire services across the North West Photo: PA Pictures

AN ELEVEN-year-old boy from Manchester is being treated in hospital after suffering injuries caused when a firework exploded in his hand.

Firefighters from Philips Park and Gorton were called to Warnford Close in Newton Heath just after 5pm on Sunday, October 14.

Watch Manager Paul Fearnhead said: “The boy was fairly distressed - he had found the four-inch long firework in the street and it exploded in his hand at home without him lighting it.

“He injured two fingers on his left hand through the explosive force and he had and injury on his lip and above his right eye from shrapnel flying in his face.

“He was being treated by paramedics and was taken to hospital fairly quickly.''

Fireworks go on sale legally from today, Monday, October 15.

Area Manager Dave Keelan, Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service’s Head of Prevention, said: “As Bonfire Night approaches we want everyone to enjoy it safely and it is regrettable that this young man has been injured in this way.

“Our firefighters and community safety teams are visiting schools to talk to children about the dangers fireworks present and we are encouraging everyone to only go to organised bonfire events.

– Area Manager Dave Keelan, Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service.