Attorney General expected to announce Hillsborough inquest

A decision is expected on whether to overturn the decisions of the original hearing into the Hillsborough disaster Photo: PA Images

The Attorney General is expected to apply today to have the original verdicts in the inquest into the deaths of 96 fans at Hillsborough quashed.

Dominic Grieve QC will apply to the High Court to have the verdicts of the original hearing overturned before a new one can be held.

The move comes after a damning report into the disaster 23 years ago laid bare a cover-up which attempted to shift the blame for the tragedy on to its victims.

Mr Grieve will take to his feet in the Commons at lunchtime to answer a series of questions on his response to the report and provide a written statement to MPs "on his consideration of the issue", a spokeswoman for his office said.

Prime Minister David Cameron said Mr Grieve would review last month's highly-critical report by the Hillsborough Independent Panel in order to decide whether to apply to quash the original, flawed inquest and apply for a new one.

It was clear there were "significant issues over the original inquest", Mr Grieve said.

But he admitted the procedure "will take some time" and acknowledged "the wait for truth and justice has been long and unspeakably painful for a great many people".

Ninety six Liverpool supporters died in the crush at Sheffield Wednesday's Hillsborough stadium on April 15 1989, where their team were to meet Nottingham Forest in an FA Cup semi-final.