1. ITV Report

Man charged with murder of David Short

A man has been charged by detectives investigating a murder linked to a gun and grenade attack which led to the deaths of two female police officers.

Francis Dixon, 37, from the Stalybridge area of Greater Manchester, has been charged with the murder of David Short, police said today.

He has also been charged with attempted murder and causing an explosion under the Explosive Substances Act 1883.

He is due to appear at Manchester City Magistrates' Court today.

The charges relate to the killings of a father and son.

Mark Short died from a gunshot wound to his neck while playing pool when a gunman opened fire at the Cotton Tree Inn in Market Street, Droylsden, Tameside, at around 11.50pm on May 25.

Eleven weeks later, on August 10, his father, David Short, died in a grenade and gun attack on his home in Folkestone Road East, in Clayton, Manchester, at around 10.30am.

Less than 10 minutes later on the same day there was another grenade explosion less than half a mile away in Luke Road, Droylsden.

Pcs Nicola Hughes, 23, and Fiona Bone, 32, were then killed in another gun and grenade attack after they responded to a report of a burglary in Hattersley on September 18.

Dale Cregan, 29, of no fixed address, has been charged with the murders of the policewomen and with murdering Mark and David Short.

Cregan is also accused of the attempted murders of Michael Belcher, Ryan Pridding and John Short, who were in the pub with Mark Short at the time of the shooting.

He faces a further allegation of the attempted murder of Sharon Hark arising from the incidents on that day.

Anthony Wilkinson, 33, and Jermaine Ward, 24, have been charged with murder and attempted murder in relation to the David Short killing and are next due at Manchester Crown Court on November 9.

Damian Gorman, 37, Luke Livesey, 27, Ryan Hadfield, 28, and Matthew James, 33, have all been charged with the murder of Mark Short and will appear at the same court on November 2.

Cregan is next due to appear at Liverpool Crown Court by video-link on November 5.