Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Girl, 4, badly burnt by gas fire

The girl is being treated at Royal Manchester Children's Hospital Photo:

A four-year-old girl is in a critical condition after her clothes were set alight by a gas fire in a house in Greater Manchester.

Emergency services were called to Horne Street, Bury, at about 12:30 on Saturday after receiving reports that a child had been injured.

Paramedics treated the girl for 60% burns to her head and body before taking her to hospital.

A police spokesman said the incident looked like a "tragic accident".

He said it was believed that her clothes had caught fire when she walked near to a gas fire.

"She suffered extensive burns and was taken to Manchester Children's Hospital, where she remains in a critical condition," he said.

A spokesman for Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service said the fire had been confined to the girl's clothes.

He said a full investigation into the incident was under way.

More on this story

  • Fire service warning

    Greater Manchester Fire Service warn of the dangers of gas fires after a 4 year old girl suffers severe burns.