Eight hospitals in the North West are to share more than £2million to improve their maternity units.
Some of the money may be used to create midwife-led units and better facilities for women giving birth.
Other improvements include equipment that gives women more freedom to move around and change position while in labour and facilities that allow women to choose if they want a bath or shower.
Successful bids in the North West are:
- Blackpool Foundation Trust - £681,606
- Saint Mary's, Manchester - £95,064
- East Cheshire NHS Trust - £83,000
- East Lancashire Trust - £114,977
- Chorley District Hospital & Royal Preston Hospital - £754,000
- Stockport Foundation Trust - £451,000
- Warrington Hospital - £444,000
- Wigan & Leigh Trust - £113,000