1. ITV Report

Cheshire tour manager of shanty group is killed after being trapped by metal door before gig

Fisherman's Friends Photo: Suzan/Suzan/EMPICS Entertainment

Tributes have been paid to the tour manager of shanty group Fisherman's Friends, who died after he was trapped under a metal door, hours before the group were due to perform.

Paul McMullen, the band's manager, who was from Disley in Cheshire, was pronounced dead at the scene - the G Live venue in Guildford - following the incident at 11.45am.

Another man, Trevor Grills, a member of the Cornish-based ten-piece, remains in hospital tonight with serious injuries after being caught up in the incident before their scheduled gig in Surrey yesterday.

A spokesman for the group Said The Maiden, who had worked with the singers, said: "We are deeply saddened by the news of the accident in Guildford yesterday. Paul was an amazing man, who gave us a fabulous opportunity to sing for the Fisherman's Friends.

"We feel honoured and grateful to have been able to work with him. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and the guys tonight."

Police were called to the scene after a report that two men were trapped under a metal door. One of the men, Mr McMullen, suffered serious injuries to his legs, officers confirmed.

He was treated by paramedics but was declared dead at the scene. The other man - Mr Grills - has been taken by ambulance to St George's Hospital, Tooting, with serious head injuries.

The Health and Safety Executive has been informed of the death.

Tributes began pouring in on social media sites today as news of the tragedy spread.

Musician Jess Distill said: "It was an honour and a pleasure to work with him (Mr McMullen) for the brief time we did. He gave us an incredible opportunity and we are so grateful for that."

Fellow performer Davina Lines wrote: "Your family and friends will miss you very much... my thoughts are with all your family at this sad time... You were a top bloke, going to miss you mate! x"

It is believed Mr McMullen was a father and husband. A woman at his home in Stockport politely declined to comment this afternoon.

Last night's gig was cancelled following the incident. It is believed the nine members of the group not involved in the accident have since returned to their homes in north Cornwall.