Two killed in motorway crash

Air ambulances attended the scene on the M6 in Cumbria this morning
Air ambulances attended the scene on the M6 in Cumbria this morning Photo: Cascade News

Two people have died in Cumbria in a crash involving eight vehicles on the M6.

Two other people suffered serious injuries in the incident, which caused the closure of the northbound carriageway between J35 and J36 at Burton-in-Kendal.

Cumbria Police said more than 20 emergency vehicles were on the scene following the incident at around 8.15am on Monday.

The force has advised motorists to keep away from the area until examinations of the scene and the clean-up operation are complete.

A Cumbria police spokeswoman said on Monday: "Sadly, police can now confirm that two people have died following a serious road traffic collision on the M6 this morning.

"The collision occurred around 8.15am this morning on the M6 northbound carriageway just after Burton services between J35-J36."

She said the male driver of a Spar HGV which was towing a trailer had been killed along with another man, from Southport, Merseyside, who was at the wheel of a blue flat lorry.

A man who was driving a silver Renault traffic van was taken to Preston Royal Infirmary by air ambulance and a woman, from Lancaster, was also hurt when her Peugeot 307 was trapped between two HGVs. Neither are thought to have life-threatening conditions.

The spokeswoman added: "All casualties have now been taken to hospital via land or air ambulance however the northbound carriageway of the M6 remains closed while the scene is cleared. Traffic is starting to move slowly in lane three.

"Diversions remain in place which motorists are encouraged to use. There are extensive delays in the area and these are likely to continue for the foreseeable future while the scene is cleared. Drivers are asked to use alternative routes wherever possible."