A gas safety campaign being trialled in the North West of England has helped save lives, according to figures released by the Gas Safe Register.
The Gas Safe Register replaced CORGI registration and is the UK's official gas safety authority.
Since October last year the organisation says it has conducted tests on the safety of gas appliances in 1,616 homes across the North West.
Tests revealed one in five gas appliances (17%) were unsafe and could have resulted in gas explosions, fires, leaks or carbon monoxide poisoning.
Russell Kramer, chief executive for Gas Safe Register, said: "Gas safety is a life or death matter.
"This is therefore a really important campaign, as residents across the North West can find out how unsafe their area is and take action to protect themselves.
"By signing up to have an annual safety check and following a few simple tips, people can avoid explosions, fires, gas escapes and carbon monoxide poisoning, which has already affected far too many people across the North West in recent years."