Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Police hunt gang who left teenager with horrific injuries

The boy's badly injured face after he was set upon by a group of men Photo: Greater Manchester Police

Police have released an image of a teenage boy’s badly injured face after he was set upon by a group of men in an unprovoked assault in Manchester.

At about 2.20pm on Saturday 2 March 2013, three cars pulled up on Briscoe Lane, Newton Heath.

The occupants - a group of about 12 men - got out and began attacking a group of youths. One 15-year-old boy was attacked by up to four men who chased him onto Harringay Road.

He was taken to hospital for treatment to facial injuries, which required stitches, and a broken arm.

A 15-year-old girl was hit in the face and suffered a fractured cheekbone and other facial injuries. The offenders then got back into their cars - a silver Peugeot 306, a black Volkswagen Passat and a dark coloured Vauxhall Astra - and drove off along Briscoe Lane towards Ten Acres Lane.

Police believe the incident may be linked to a dispute the previous evening in the Newton Heath area however neither victim was involved in this.

Police have released CCTV footage of the assault and are asking the public to see if they can assist with the identification of these violent offenders to further progress this enquiry.

The boy’s mother, who does not wish to be named, said: “I barely recognised my boy when I saw him, such were the extent of the injuries to his face.

“I cannot believe that a bunch of grown men would attack an innocent teenage boy like this. “He was not involved in any sort of trouble but yet they waded in with their fists and weapons and didn’t give him any chance to respond or defend himself.

Detective Constable Paddy Connell, said: "While the CCTV footage we released shows a determined effort by a group of men to get at and assault a number of teenagers, what this injury picture shows is the real consequences of their actions.

The boy is slight in build and was chased and beaten by burly men. “Their actions were shameless and shocking and I want people to look at the injuries to the boy’s face and if they know anything to come forward. “We think this may be linked to an incident the previous evening and earlier that day in that general area and if that is the case then they have definitely got the wrong people as neither victim was there.

“If anyone knows anything about what may have prompted this or knows who is responsible, please get in touch.”