Carbon monoxide warning for boat users on Windermere

Lake Windermere Photo: Press Association

Police are advising Lake Windermere users to follow carbon monoxide safety advice after a family became ill on a boat at the weekend.

An ambulance was called on Saturday evening when the family became ill after leaving the boat engine running with the canopy closed.

They were taken to Royal Lancaster Infirmary and were released after treatment.

Police are advising lake users to ensure they follow appropriate safety advice before embarking on a trip to the Lake District and consult with the Lake Wardens office if they have any doubts or require further advice.

“Please remember Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas given off by all appliances burning fossil fuels such as gas, coal, wood or oil, if they’re not working properly or in an enclosed space.

“Incidents can prove fatal and even low levels can cause lasting damage to your health. Always follow instructions when using gas appliances and other items such as camping stoves, lights and even barbecues. Carbon monoxide has no taste, smell or colour.

"We strongly recommend that you fit an audible carbon monoxide alarm in your home and take one on holiday.”

– Mark Roach from Cumbria Fire & Rescue Service

It comes after a mother and her 10-year-old daughter died while on a sailing trip on Windermere.

Police believe Kelly Webster and Lauren Thornton from Leyland were poisoned by carbon monoxide fumes from a faulty generator.

The six main symptoms to look out for:

  • headaches
  • dizziness
  • nausea
  • breathlessness
  • collapse
  • loss of consciousness

For further advice and information go to [www.fireservice.co.uk/

safety/carbon-monoxide](http://www.fireservice.co.uk/safety/carbon-monoxide)