1. ITV Report

Dog stuns vets after eating 80 stones

Dog star can't stop eating gravel Photo: PDSA

Vets in Blackpool have managed to save a Jack Russell with a taste for gravel after she swallowed up to 80 pieces from the garden which nearly killed her.

An x-ray of 'Star's' stomach stunned staff at the PDSA in the resort after revealing the seven year old dog had wolfed down huge quantities of stones - with dozens of them littered in her stomach.

Xray of Star's stomach Credit: PDSA

Vets realised Star was on rocky ground after they could feel ‘crunchy material’ in her stomach. But they weren't prepared for what they found.

Owner Tracy McCaul visited specialists after becoming worried when Star refused any food for 24 hours and was barely able to move. She took the stricken dog to PDSA’s Blackpool pet hospital, where vets warned Tracy her pet would require risky surgery to remove the stones.

Jennifer Jackson, PDSA senior vet, said: “Star’s condition was very worrying – she could hardly stand and was extremely dehydrated. On close examination, we could feel something in Star’s stomach but when we saw the x-rays we couldn’t believe how many stones she had swallowed.

Star and some of the gravel she wolfed down Credit: PDSA

“It really was touch and go whether Star would survive – the quantity of sharp stones passing through her intestines was damaging them and given the possibility of them piercing her intestines, there was a danger of her developing potentially fatal peritonitis. We had to carry out emergency surgery to remove the stones and thankfully she has gone on to make a full recovery. ”

Tracy, from Fleetwood, said she believed Star had eaten the stones while playing in the garden: “I was very shocked when PDSA told me she had swallowed so many stones, I just didn’t think it was possible.

Star was kept at the PetAid hospital for several days and I was really worried about her. “I’m so grateful to PDSA for the care and treatment they gave Star. Without them I don’t think she’d still be alive.” Tracy, who also owns another dog called Mitzie, has since removed all gravel from her garden to prevent any similar incidents in the future.