Alder Hey Children's Hospital is warning parents on Merseyside to be aware of the risks of leaving hair straighteners around children.
But why are they so dangerous?
- Straighteners can reach temperatures of over 220°C.
- They can take up to 40 minutes to cool.
- Children are particularly at risk as their skin can be 15 times thinner than adults.
- The number of hair straightener burns among children has doubled.
- They now account for nearly one in ten of all burns.
- Nearly half of all adults have also received a burn from hair straighteners.
SOURCE: ELECTRICAL SAFETY COUNCIL (ESC)
You can find out more on the ESC website.