A civic funeral will be held for Sir Tom Finney at 1.00pm on Thursday 27 February at Preston Minster. This will be followed by a private interment service for Sir Tom’s family.
The route for the cortege for Sir Tom Finney's civic funeral has now been confirmed:
- start at Preston North End, Deepdale Stadium
- then along Sir Tom Finney Way and Deepdale Road
- right on to Ringway
- then left on to Tithebarn Street, in front of Preston Bus Station
- right on to Lord Street
- left on to Lancaster Road. Outside Preston Town Hall, the funeral cortege will be joined by civic representatives of the City of Preston
- left onto Church Street, arriving at Preston Minster
Further information on approximate timings for the funeral cortege and arrangements for the funeral service, will be published here as soon as they are confirmed.
Other than Church Street, all roads will remain open on Thursday 27 February although there will a short delay to traffic as the funeral cortege makes its way from Deepdale to the Minster. Full details will be given in due course.
– Councillor Peter Rankin, Preston Council leader.
It is difficult to believe Sir Tom has died. He is probably the most important Prestonian that has ever lived and we are all deeply saddened at the news of his death. All our thoughts are with Sir Tom's family at this difficult time. Sir Tom was a role model for all.