Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Family's heartbreak as dog is strangled by its own bed filling

A family say they are heartbroken after their young dog died when it became entangled in the filling of its bed.

Much missed - Bonnie Credit: MEN Syndication

Owner Trish Kenyon, 50, said she found one-year-old Staffordshire terrier Bonnie trapped in lengths of stuffing after leaving the pet with its mum Pip.

The fabric was wrapped tightly around Bonnie’s neck 12 times and she wasn’t breathing.

Despite the efforts of Trish’s son-in-law Grant Cooke and her husband Ian to resuscitate Bonnie, the dog died.

Trish said: “It was a nightmare. I only left them for 25 minutes.

“I could hear horrible choking noises when I got home. I was panicking and Pip was very distressed. She was in a mess. Bonnie was her baby and she was trying to save her.

Bonnie's bedding - blamed for her death Credit: MEN Syndication

“We thought we were doing the right thing buying a nice comfy bed instead of the plastic one I had. I can’t get over what’s happened.

“I want people to know what can happen.”

The two dogs shared the bed together at the couple’s home on Princess Drive in Bollington, which Trish bought for them so they would be cosy for the winter.

Bonnie (right) with mum Pip and Trish Credit: MEN Syndication

But tragedy struck when she left the dogs on their new bed to go and feed the family’s animals at a smallholding they own nearby.

Trish’s daughter Jodie Cooke, 27, who lives with husband Grant on High Street in Macclesfield, posted a warning on Facebook which has been shared nearly 14,000 times, with nearly 3,000 comments.

Mum-of-two Jodie said: “It’s gone wild online. I’ve had so many messages of support.

“People have said their dogs have become entangled in the filling too. Dogs chew through things and it’s dangerous. You don’t expect to leave your dog comfortable in its bed and to come home to find that. My mum is traumatised.

“We are incredibly heartbroken. We all loved Bonnie. I just want to warn everyone. It may save a dog’s life.”

Jodie said the dog bed was bought from a farm shop – where they have since been taken off sale – but she doesn’t blame them as they did not manufacture it.

The family is calling on firms to look carefully at the fillings that are used in dog beds.