1. ITV Report

‘Life’s cruel. Life’s a game. I lost’: Tragic teen's Facebook post before he stepped in front of a train

Lee Ridgway, 16, died after he stepped in front of a train at Bramhall Station in Stockport. Credit: Manchester Evening News.

A teenager who was taken to A&E shouting that he ‘wanted to die’ was not seen by a doctor, an inquest heard.

Less than a day later Lee Ridgway, 16, died after he stepped in front of a train at Bramhall Station in Stockport.

Before he died he posted a tragic final message on Facebook saying: ‘Life’s cruel. Life’s a game. I lost’.

Lee's tragic Facebook post before he died. Credit: Manchester Evening News.

The court heard that the previous evening, August 27 last year, Lee had been taken to Stepping Hill Hospital in an ambulance after his parents returned from a neighbour’s house to find he was missing and had left a note.

As they were calling the police, Lee, who had drunk around a third of a litre of vodka, reappeared at the family home very distressed and disoriented.

His mum, Thelma Ridgway, said that once they arrived in A&E Lee was given a bed in a corridor but remained very distressed, shouting ‘why won’t you let me go, I want to die’, and repeatedly attempting to leave the hospital.

Flowers at the station where Lee died. Credit: Manchester Evening News.

Mrs Ridgway described him as ‘manic, frightened and confused’.

She and Lee’s dad Ian were struggling to control him, and when Mr Ridgway was told in the early hours of August 28 that it would be another three to four hours before he was seen by a doctor they decided to take him home.

They said he seemed to calm down over the course of the day but later that evening they realised he had climbed out of his bedroom window.

He had again left a note and messaged family members and friends saying he was sorry. He posted on Facebook the message: ‘Life’s cruel. Life’s a game. I lost’.

Mr Ridgway raced to Bramhall station and the police arrived a short time afterwards, but sadly it was too late.

The court heard that in the past Lee had suffered from some mental health issues and behavioural problems, such as taking legal highs and absconding from school and home.

However, Mrs Ridgway said that in the year leading up to his death he had improved greatly, stopped taking legal highs - although he still smoked cannabis - and had done well in his GCSEs.

She said: “The final months of his life were the happiest I had ever seen him. We thought that he had turned a corner.”

His parents said that when they went to the neighbour’s house on August 27 they had no concerns about Lee, and had in fact had a conversation about how well things were going.

Mrs Ridgway said that until the night of August 27 she had never heard her son mention suicide.