1. ITV Report

Man jailed after woman found dead in Lancashire

Lee Grime Photo: Lancs Police

A 35-year-old man has today been jailed after the death of a woman in Blackburn.

Lee Grime was sentenced at Liverpool Crown Court following the death of Victoria Shorrock, 45, earlier this year.

Around 2pm on January 11, Grime called the Ambulance Service reporting he had found Miss Shorrock, his partner, unresponsive at their address in Warrenside Close.

Paramedics attended and pronounced the 45-year-old dead at the scene. When medics confirmed police would be called, Grime became agitated and made off from the property.

It was established he had taken a taxi to Blackpool and stayed at a guesthouse. After a press appeal for information he was later arrested by police.

Following investigation Miss Shorrock was found to have a number of injuries, including a cut to the back of her head and significant bruising.

Grime was charged with murder on the basis of the evidence of assault and the initial findings of a post mortem examination.

However, as the medical evidence was explored further and in conjunction with the home office pathologist and other expert medical witnesses, it became clear the cause of Miss Shorrock’s death could not ascertained with sufficient certainty to proceed with a charge of murder. As a result the charge was amended to assault.

Grime pleaded guilty and following today’s hearing was sentenced to 16 months in prison.

Det Insp Tim McDermott, of Lancashire Police, said:

This was at times a difficult and complex investigation involving the death of a woman from Blackburn.

While Grime was the first person to call emergency services, his behaviour in the aftermath of the incident showed a total lack of concern or compassion.

Victoria, his partner, had sadly died, but Grime made off from the scene, travelling to Blackpool and avoiding officers for several days.

Victoria had a number of health issues and following expert medical opinion, it was agreed her death could not be proved as unlawful.

Even though we can’t be sure exactly what happened in the hours before she died, what is clear is Grime assaulted her, with her death following at some point afterwards.

Victoria was a vulnerable woman who Grime took advantage of. He showed himself to be a dangerous and manipulative individual.

Our thoughts remain with Victoria’s family, who have conducted themselves with the utmost dignity and patience throughout the investigation.

– Det Insp Tim McDermott