Live news stream

National

Match-fixing police charge former striker Delroy Facey

Delroy Facey pictured playing for Hereford United in 2011.
Delroy Facey pictured playing for Hereford United in 2011. Credit: Empics

Officers investigating football match-fixing have charged former Bolton striker Delroy Facey with conspiracy to commit bribery.

Huddersfield-born Facey, 34, was arrested in November 2013 and will appear in court in Cannock tomorrow.

The ex-Premier League forward last played for Hereford United in 2012 after a career which also included spells at Hull City, West Brom, Oldham and Notts County.

Lee Rigby honoured at National Memorial Arboretum

Fusilier Lee Rigby has been honoured at a service remembering fallen servicemen.

MEMORIAL
The annual event remembers fallen servicemen who have been killed on duty the previous year. Credit: ITV Granada

The soldier from Middleton was murdered by Michael Adebolajo and Michael Adebowale near Woolwich Barracks last year.

The soldier is one of 17 servicemen to have their names added to the National Memorial Arboretum in Staffordshire.

MEMORIAL
Families remember their loved ones Credit: ITV Granada

The annual event remembers fallen servicemen who have been killed on duty the previous year.

Family members will lay wreaths at the memorial after the service.

memorial
National Memorial Arboretum in Staffordshire Credit: ITV Granada

Advertisement

Gates closed "to relieve the pressure on fans crushed"

by Andy Bonner

A former police sergeant, who decided to close perimeter gates outside Hillsborough as crowds increased, has told the inquests into the 1989 disaster that he did so to relieve the pressure on fans crushed up against the turnstiles.

Lionel Proctor told the court in Warrington: "The mere fact of closing the gates left an area between the gates and the back of the crowd leading up to the turnstiles and left it empty. My thoughts were that the crowd would come off the turnstiles and come back into this space but they didn’t."

"You know we did shout, but they didn’t come back. And because of that, the pressure that was being put on the other side of the gates by the supporters forced them open."

– Lionel Proctor

The court heard the gates were secured in place for just a few minutes. Asked how fans standing behind the gates had been behaving, the witness said: "They were obviously thinking that they were being shut out and wanted to get through. They were abusive because they were being restricted in what they could do.

"There was loads of pressure on [the gates]. Some had got over the gates but they would get over the gates because of the pressure behind them, you know? I had the impression that they were trying to break the gates open but, you know, I just think it was a general pressure."

– Lionel Proctor

The jury watched police video showing the perimeter gates opening just over a minute after exit gate C was opened allowing thousands of fans to enter the ground.

Manchester United loan Hernandez to Real Madrid

Real Madrid have announced they have signed Mexican forward Javier Hernandez from Manchester United on a season-long loan, with an option to make the deal permanent next summer.

photo of footballer
Mexican forward Javier Hernandez Credit: Press Association

The European champions were looking to reinforce their attacking line following the departure of Alvaro Morata to Juventus this summer.

The 26-year-old Hernandez, who joined the Red Devils in 2010 from Mexican outfit Guadalajara, had grown increasingly frustrated at a lack of first-team opportunities at Old Trafford and was looking for a new challenge.

"Real Madrid and Manchester United have reached an agreement for the transfer of Javier Hernandez Chicharito, who will join the club for the current season.

"Real Madrid holds an option to buy the player.

"Javier Hernandez Chicharito will hold a press conference at the Santiago Bernabeu on Monday afternoon."

– Real Madrid statement

Conductor jailed for indecent assaulting Chetham's pupil

An music conductor who indecently assaulted a teenage girl has been jailed for eight months.

Nicholas Smith's victim went to police 36 years after the assault following the high-profile death of sex attack victim Frances Andrade, a fellow pupil at Chetham's School of Music in Manchester, the city's Minshull Street Crown Court heard.

still
Nicholas Smith Credit: Greater Manchester Police

Smith, 66, was investigated in the aftermath of Mrs Andrade's death during last year's sex abuse trial of Michael Brewer, the former music director at Chetham's.

Brewer was jailed for six years for indecently assaulting ex-pupil Mrs Andrade, 48, when she was 14 and 15 in the 1970s. Mrs Andrade killed herself at her home in Guildford, Surrey, a week after giving evidence against him.

More: Choirmaster jailed for indecent assault

Smith's victim told police the death of Mrs Andrade, whom she knew while at the school, was like the "curtain of a stage lifted".

The single indecent assault by Smith when his victim was aged 15 and he was 30, took "minutes" but ruined her life, the court heard.

school
Chetham's School of Music in Manchester Credit: Press Association

Smith, a visiting conductor at Chetham's in the 1970s, at first denied the sex attack but later admitted one count of indecent assault against his vulnerable victim, now in her 50s, on a date between 1976 and 1978, at his country cottage in Derbyshire.

Smith went on to become an internationally-renowned conductor working across the world but his reputation now lies in ruins, the court heard.

Jailing him for eight months, Judge Peter Lakin told Smith:

"You breached the trust placed in you in a most serious way. She was highly vulnerable and you knew it.

"When you were alone with her, you cynically took advantage of her vulnerability and subjected her to a deeply unpleasant and frightening ordeal.

"You pushed her to the ground, dragged her clothes up and then fondled and kissed her exposed breasts.

"This was a forceful sexual assault by someone in authority."

Suarez pays visit to Liverpool on transfer deadline day

Luis Suarez has made a surprise visit to Melwood on transfer deadline day.

The former Liverpool FC striker posed with his former team-mate Steven Gerrard, with both players holding a Barcelona shirt with the Suarez's name on the back.

two men
Luis Suarez and Steven Gerrard Credit: Steven Gerrard/Instagram

Gerrard posted the photo on his Instagram page with the caption:

"He is back bearing gifts. Emotional saying goodbye to the main man this morning.

"Best wishes to a phenomenal player."

Advertisement

Lee Rigby remembered at national memorial service

A soldier from Middleton, who was murdered outside his barracks in Woolwich, will be included in a national memorial for fallen servicemen and women later.

Fusilier Lee Rigby
Fusilier Lee Rigby Credit: Ministry of Defence

Fusilier Lee Rigby's name will be among 17 that will be read out during a dedication service at the National Arboretum in Staffordshire.

The 25-year-old father-of-one was knocked down by a car in south east London and subjected to a frenzied knife attack.

Michael Adebolajo and Michael Adebowale were this year convicted of his murder.

Load more updates