Boat owners on Windermere are being warned to carry out safety checks on their vessels and make sure they're in full working order ahead of the boating season.
The warning from lake wardens follows the 2013 Windermere tragedy when a mother and daughter died from carbon monoxide poisoning because of a faulty generator on a private boat.
SLDC Lake Warden Martin Dodgson explained the most common problem the wardens are called out to are over-heated engines after winterisation.
He says it is essential to have all engines checked and serviced.
SLDC's Lake Wardens have this boat check list:
- Check the water tank
- Test carbon monoxide sensor
- Check the skin fitting
- Check gas and electrical systems -check them regularly and make sure there are no leaks
- Check the engine and have it serviced
- Check life jackets and make sure theyare in date - check them annually
- Test smoke alarms - fire can spreadquickly on a boat, even on water