Live updates

Exclusive: Police to re-investigate claims of sexual and physical abuse at a former residential school in Cumbria

by Ashley Derricott

Granada Reports can reveal that allegations of abuse at a former residential school for boys in South Cumbria are to be re-investigated by police. Underley Hall was a place where pupils, many of them with learning difficulties, should have been safe. According to those we've spoken to they weren't. Their claims of sexual and physical abuse in the 1970s and 1980s are now being re-investigated as part of Operation Tweed.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Cumbria Police on 101 or can call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Advice and support for adult survivors of abuse can be found on the NSPCC's website.

Victim's mum urges Liverpool to get behind Pride March

Michael was beaten to death
Michael Causer was the victim of a homophobic killing Credit: Causer family

The mother of a gay teenager, murdered in Liverpool, is urging the city to get behind the annual Pride March on the sixth anniversary of her son's death tomorrow. Marie Causer says she thinks of her son as the final preparations are made for the event on Saturday.

"He'd have been so excited he wouldn't have been able to sleep."

She says there will two opportunities to remember the teenager who was beaten to death, because he was gay, at a party. The first will be during speeches at the start of the March on St George's Plateau at 11am on Saturday. The second will be during a 2 minute silence at the main waterfront stage at 5.45pm.

Advertisement

New complaints over abuse at Rochdale's Knowl View

Knowl View.
Knowl View.

Further victims have come forward to make complaints of abuse at Knowl View, a former residential school for boys in Rochdale.

Greater Manchester Police said 18 victims have so far come forward and the complaints relate to child abuse from 1969 until the school closed in 1990.

The allegations relate to physical and sexual abuse that took place by adults upon pupils and between the pupils themselves.

Over the last month 14 men, aged between 35 and 66 have been interviewed under caution for a variety of offences including allegations of both sexual and physical offences.

“The investigation into abuse at Knowl View School continues and since the start of the inquiry further victims have come forward.

“These are serious allegations made against both staff and pupils at the school and are being thoroughly investigated.

“We are currently working through the allegations and as a result 14 people so far have been interviewed under caution.

“Greater Manchester Police takes allegations of abuse very seriously and continues to do so and if anyone has been a victim of abuse, we ask them to contact us.”

– Detective Chief Superintendent Russ Jackson, Greater Manchester Police

Advertisement

Load more updates