Lord Sugar has told Katie Hopkins to "shut up" after the ex-Apprentice contestant criticised celebrities who paid tribute to Cilla Black.Read the full story ›
More on the sad news of the death of the singer and TV personality Cilla Black. Cilla had close connections with the Thames Valley region where she had lived for a number of years. Many showbiz and sport personalities were among her personal friends and she was often seen at local events. Rachel Hepworth reports.
Tributes have been pouring in all afternoon, from friends and fans alike, after the announcement of the death of Cilla Black.
Veteran entertainer Ken Dodd has told ITV "Cilla had tremendous drive and ambition."
He added "Cilla was a huge personality, a sparkling,vivacious lady."
Cilla Black was one of TV's best-loved presenters fronting Blind Date and Surprise Surprise in the 1980s and 90s.
Here are ten facts about the woman who gave us a "lorra, lorra laughs" during her long career.
- 1. Cilla was actually born Priscilla Maria Veronica White in Liverpool on 27 May 1943.
- 2. Her stage name was "Swinging Cilla".
- 3. Many of her first performances were at Liverpool's Cavern Club, which she blamed for her hearing loss.
- 4. She often sang with The Beatles and in 1963 was the first female artists to be signed by their manager Brian Epstein.
- 5. Her first number 1 was Anyone Who Had A Heart, which stayed at the top spot for 3 weeks in February 1963.
- 6.The song went on to sell over 1 million copies worldwide as did her second UK number 1, You're My World.
- 7. Cilla never managed to break the US but Elvis Presley had a copy of You're My World on his Graceland jukebox.
- 8. She was married to her manager Bobby Willis for more than 30 years until he died of lung cancer in October 1999.
- 9. The couple had three sons together; Robert, Ben and Jack. They also had a daughter, Ellen, in 1975 but sadly she only lived for 2 hours.
- 10. Last year Cilla was awarded a BAFTA 'Special Award' for her contribution to entertainment in a career which has lasted over 50 years.
Blind Date and Surprise Surprise star Cilla Black,72, has died, according to reports.Read the full story ›
A painting by artist LS Lowry is to go on show to the public for the first time.Read the full story ›
The Kendal Calling music festival is back for the 10th year.
Thousands are expected to make the trip to South Cumbria for the four day event.
Manchester's James will be among the headline acts along with DJs Mr Scruff and Dave Haslam.
Headlining on Saturday are rockers Elbow, from Bury.
The weekend will also see performances from the Kaiser Chiefs and Snoop Dogg.
Leading illustrators in the world of Comic Art have donated their illustrations as postcards to Kendal's festival.Read the full story ›
Former star of Girls Aloud, Sarah Harding is a busy woman at the moment. Not only has she released some new music along with a new video but she's also making her debut on Coronation Street.
Sarah, who grew up in Stockport, is promising to make something of a grand entrance on the cobbles. She's playing the feisty Joni Preston and is gunning for Tracy Barlow when she discovers Tracey's been having an affair with her husband.
This year's Blackpool Illuminations will feature new light displays. The upgrade has been made possible thanks to two million pounds of funding from the Coastal Communities fund.
The illuminations will run from the 4th of September to the 8th of November. Below is a little taster of what will visitors will get to see.