Live updates

John Stones hands in transfer request to force Chelsea move

Stones has handed in a transfer request to force a move to Chelsea Credit: PA Images

Everton defender John Stones has handed in a transfer request in an attempt to force through a move to Chelsea, according to reports from Press Association Sport.

After three failed bids - the last in excess of £30million - from the Stamford Bridge club, the England international has now taken matters into his own hands and formally expressed his desire to leave.

Everton have been resolute in their determination to hang on to the highly-rated 21-year-old and manager Roberto Martinez has insisted throughout the saga the centre-back is not for sale.

Advertisement

  1. National

Man United midfielder aiming to secure Euro 2016 spot

Michael Carrick has set his sights on earning a place in Roy Hodgson's Euro 2016 squad.

United have looked better with Carrick in the team this season. Credit: PA

Carrick is likely to be included in Hodgson's squad for the upcoming qualifiers against San Marino and Switzerland, which will be named on Tuesday afternoon.

After a season interrupted by injury, the Manchester United midfielder found his way back into the England squad in the Spring and impressed during the 4-0 win over Lithuania and the creditable 1-1 draw against Italy in Turin.

With Jack Wilshere out through yet another ankle injury, Carrick has a chance to stake his claim for a place in England's midfield over the next few weeks.

And after missing out on Euro 2012 and last year's World Cup, the 34-year-old is determined to make the cut for next summer's tournament in France.

Carrick said:

Of course I would like to go. I have been involved in the squad since the World Cup. I am looking to stay involved as much as I can.

It is down to me to play enough here and play well enough to warrant a place.

– Man United midfielder Michael Carrick

Lancashire batsman Liam Livingstone signs new deal as Red Rose close on promotion

Lancashire's Liam Livingstone has signed a new deal with the Red Rose Credit: PA Images

Lancashire batsman Liam Livingstone is one of three young players to be handed new deals by the club.

The 22-year-old, who made his debut for the Red Rose earlier in the summer, suffered facial injuries after allegedly being glassed in a bar brawl in Kent last Saturday night.

Earlier in the day he had featured in Lancashire's win over Kent in the NatWest T20 Blast but has not played since.

In total, he has made 14 appearances in the shortest format while he made a positive impact in his only Royal London One-Day Cup appearance to date with a counter-attacking 91 in another victory over Kent.

Along with all-rounders Arron Lilley and Jordan Clark, both 24, he has committed himself to the county for the foreseeable future.

Lancashire cricket director and head coach Ashley Giles said:

"Arron, Liam and Jordan very much represent the next generation for Lancashire County Cricket Club and I'm delighted that we have been able to secure their immediate futures."

– Ashley Giles

The future may be even brighter for Lancs as they close in on promotion from the County Championship Division 2.

They lead Glamorgan by 280 runs on Day 4 of their encounter at Old Trafford but need another 14 wickets on the final day to confirm their promotion to the top division.

Advertisement

Johnson-Thompson heptathlon medal hopes over

Katarina Johnson-Thompson failed to register a mark in the long jump event, effectively ending her heptathlon medal hopes.

Great Britain's Katarina Johnson-Thompson after her three fouls in the Women's Heptathlon Long Jump Credit: Press Association

Johnson-Thompson went into the fifth event in second place overall, but a disastrous long jump ruled her out of contention with red flags in all three of her jumps, including a marginal decision in her third and final round.

Jessica Ennis-Hill finished fourth in the long jump to maintain her overall lead in the competition.

  1. Border

A handy guide to the Stone Skimming Championships

The Stone Skimming Championship will be held in Windermere this weekend. Credit: ITV Border

As the all-England Stone Skimming Championship comes to Windermere this weekend, we've compiled this handy guide for those wishing to take up the elusive sport of Stone Skimming.

Championship rules:

  • Skimming stones must be no more than 3 inches in diameter.
  • To qualify, the stone must bounce no less than 3 times and stay within the designated lane as marked by the buoys.
  • Skims are judged on the distance thrown rather than the number of bounces.
  • The judges' decision is final, so be warned!

Skimming the stone:

  • Pick a stone which is as thin and light as possible.
  • The texture of the pebble is your choice: Some people think a smooth stone is best, while others prefer a perforated surface, like a golf ball.
  • Throw it fast, with as much spin as you can manage.
  • Throw it low, almost parallel with the water.
  • Lastly, throwing the stone as horizontally as possible should guarantee you the maximum amount of skims!

Van Gaal: I trust Ed Woodward

Louis van Gaal insists he has full confidence in Ed Woodward's abilities despite criticism of the Manchester United executive vice-chairman.

Woodward came in for criticism after Barcelona forward Pedro moved to Chelsea, rather than United.

But the United boss maintains he has a good relationship with Woodward and has faith in his ability to bring the best players to Old Trafford.

"I have the idea you want to separate Ed Woodward with me. Never. Never," the United boss said in a spiky press conference.

"Because every day I am updated by him and I trust him."

Martinez unaware of Stones transfer request

It's reported the 21-year-old Everton defender John Stones is on the brink of handing in a transfer request Credit: PA Images

Everton manager Roberto Martinez says he is not aware of any transfer request being made by defender John Stones.

The 21-year-old centre back was the subject of two pre-season bids of £20 million and £26 million from Chelsea but both bids were rejected and Everton refused to comment on Tuesday about reports they had turned down a third offer of £30million from the London club.

Nevertheless the Merseysiders' stance that the England international is not for sale appears to remain firm and it has since been reported Stones is on the brink of handing in a transfer request.

But asked on Friday if he was aware of that being the situation, Martinez - speaking at his press conference to preview Sunday's Premier League clash with Manchester City - said: "Not at all, no."

The Spaniard added that he would have no hesitation in including Stones in his plans for Sunday's game.

Load more updates