- 8 updates
A Coroner has found a newborn baby who died one day after her birth at Furness General Hospital in Barrow could have survived.
South Cumbria coroner Ian Smith found that Amelia Bower died after ingesting meconium during her birth. A narrative verdict was recorded. Get the full story here.
The inquest continues into the death of baby Amelia Bower, who died at Furness General Hospital at just one-day-old. Her mother, Kelly Hine, alleges a catalogue of failures by the hospital.
Amelia Bower suffered brain damage after being starved of oxygen last April at the troubled unit - the subject of a police investigation. Giving evidence the head of midwifery says they now have additional midwives on shift at Barrow's maternity unit following the death.
The inquest also heard today one midwife felt baby Amelia should have been transferred to a specialist hospital but a consultant paediatrician didn't agree. Follow Elaine Willcox for more information as the inquest continues.
Kelly Hine, the mother of Amelia Bower who died at one-day-old at Furness General Hospital, has disputed claims that her baby was being monitored during the early stages of labour.
Our correspondent Elaine Willcox is tweeting from Barrow Coroner's Court.
An inquest has opened into the death of one-day-old Amelia Bower at Furness General Hospital.
Amelia's mother, Kelly Hine, alleges a catalogue of failures by the hospital.