Twelve dogs including eight puppies have died after a fire broke out on a farm in Birch, Rochdale.
Crews were called in the early hours of the morning to put out the flames but couldn't save the Alsatians. Fire officers think a heater used to keep them warm was the cause.
– Watch Manager, Neil Fox
They were breeding them in the barn and they were all young dogs so it was a real shame.
"They had a portable infrared heater keeping them warm and it looks like that was the cause."
"Electric heaters can be a fire hazard so never leave them unattended, stand them where they could be knocked over or sit too close to them.
"Make sure heaters are always guarded and never try to move a portable heater while it is alight or switched on."