Child drank caustic soda

A toddler has been admitted to hospital after he drank a corrosive substance in South Manchester.

Live updates

Child in hospital after drinking caustic soda

A toddler in his hospital with burns to his stomach and throat after drinking caustic soda.

He reached out of his pushchair while on a shopping trip with his mother, picked up a bottle containing the corrosive substance and drank some of it.

It happened on Sunday, January 13, in a shop on Claremont Road in Moss Side, Manchester.

The two-year-old is still in hospital where medics say he is in a serious but stable condition.

An investigation is now underway.

"Caustic soda is a highly toxic chemical commonly found in drain and oven cleaners.

"If it is touched, inhaled or swallowed it can cause severe burns. This little boy took a drink from a bottle and is now seriously ill in hospital.

"I want to take this opportunity to remind people when storing products of this nature to make sure the lids of the bottles are on tightly, keep them in a cool place and out of reach from children, preferably in a locked cupboard."

– Superintendent Sarah Jones, Greater Manchester Police
Back to top