Firefighters tackle blaze in Horwich

Firefighters tackle fire involving waste materials in Horwich

Firefighters bring Horwich blaze under control

Firefighters at scene
Firefighters damping down in Horwich Credit: Greater Manchester Fire service

Firefighters have brought a fire at recycling site at Armstrong's in Horwich under control.

Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service were called to the site on Chorley New Road at around 6.40am today.

They say, at its height eight fire engines and an aerial appliance were at the scene with around 50 firefighters tackling the blaze.

Crews surrounded the fire to stop it from spreading.

Station Manager Jon Aspinall, Command Support Officer at the incident, said: "The fire involves a large amount of waste material within a warehouse.

"Crews worked hard to contain it to stop it from spreading.

"Earlier on there was a fair bit of smoke in the area, so as a precaution we encouraged residents in the area to keep their doors and windows shut."

The incident was scaled down to six fire engines shortly before 11am - at which time the fire continued to smoulder.

The fire service is consulting with Environment Agency staff at the incident and firefighters are likely to remain there throughout the day.

They say the cause of the fire will be investigated once the fire is completely out.

Pictures of blaze at recycling complex in Horwich

Fire scene
Firefighters tackle blaze at Armstrong's recycling plant Credit: Greater Manchester Fire service
Fire scene
Firefighters tackle blaze at Armstrong's recycling plant Credit: Greater Manchester Fire Service
Fire scene
Firefighters tackle blaze at Armstrong's recycling plant Credit: Greater Manchester Fire Service

Advertisement

Firefighters tackle blaze near Bolton

Residents in the Chorley New Road area of Horwich are being advised to keep their doors and windows shut due to smoke from a fire.

Greater Manchester Firefighters say they're dealing with a blaze at Armstrong's recycling complex involving rubbish.

Incident Commander Ben Levy said: "There is a fire involving a large amount of waste material. Crews are working hard to contain it to stop it from spreading.

"There is a fair bit of smoke in the area, so as a precaution I would urge residents in the area to keep their doors and windows shut."

Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service say they were called to the scene at around 6.40am. there are currently six crews and aerial appliance at the scene.