- 11 updates
The actor William Roache, who plays Ken Barlow in Coronation Street, has said he will fight to prove his innocence after being charged with two counts of raping a 15 year old girl in the 1960s. Mr Roache, who's 81 and from Wilmslow, will appear in court later this month.
The Crown Prosecution Service have tonight said Coronation Street actor Bill Roache is to be charged with two counts of rape of a 15-year-old girl in 1967.
The 81-year-old, who plays Ken Barlow in the soap, was arrested at his home in Wilmslow, Cheshire, this morning.
Shortly before 4pm, officers at Bill Roache's home could be seen placing brown paper evidence bags inside an unmarked police car, which left the address shortly afterwards.
It was followed by two more unmarked police cars, each with three plain clothes officers inside.
The Coronation Street actor Bill Roache has been arrested on suspicion of raping a teenage girl. The offence allegedlly happened in 1967. His home in Wilmslow was searched by police this morning.
Correspondent Elaine Willcox has the story.
Former SAS sniper sergeant Danny Nightingale will face a retrial for illegally possessing a pistol. The date has yet to be set.
Police have revealed Bill Roache is being questioned about two allegations from one person who was a 15-year-old girl in 1967.
Two police officers were stationed outside the wrought iron gates at the end of the drive to Roache's £650,000 home, shielded by bushes from the road in Wilmslow.
A growing press pack of TV cameras, photographers and reporters gathered outside the property.
- The 81-year-old was born in Ilkeston, Derbyshire
- He started his career in the Royal Welch Fusiliers in 1953 but left to pursue an acting career
- Roache landed the role of Ken Barlow in Coronation Street after being spotted performing in the Granada Television play Marking Time and has starred in the soap since its debut episode in 1960
- In 1999 the actor won the Lifetime Achievement Award at the British Soap Awards
- In 2001 he was awarded an MBE
Latest ITV News reports
Coronation Street star Bill Roache has been arrested on suspicion of raping a 15-year-old girl in 1967.