Mark Hughes today refused to rule himself out of a return to Everton, should David Moyes become Manchester United's new manager.
The retirement of Sir Alex Ferguson after 26 years at Old Trafford seems likely to set in motion a series of managerial changes, the first of which is expected to see Moyes arrive from the Toffees.
Hughes, who has not managed since being sacked by QPR in November, stopped short of directly throwing his hat into the ring for a vacancy that is not yet open but appeared interested.
Hughes played for Everton between 2000 and 2002.
"It's not happened yet but it's obvious if one manager leaves there is an opportunity for other managers who are currently out of work, which includes myself," he told Sky Sports News. "It (Everton) is a great club, a club I had the fortune to play for and I really enjoyed my time there.
"Whoever gets that opportunity it is a really big club and really big shoes to fill.
"It's an opportunity for somebody and I back myself for most jobs in the Premier League.
"It's a big job, there's only 20 jobs available and everybody wants to work in the Premier League."
Wigan boss Roberto Martinez has claimed it would be a waste of time for Everton to contact him over their impending managerial vacancy as his mind is totally focused on Wigan for the final week of the season.
With David Moyes set to be announced as Sir Alex Ferguson's successor later today, Martinez is clear favourite to end up at Goodison Park.
But with an FA Cup Final looming on Saturday and Premier League survival to secure after that, Martinez has no time for distractions.
"At this moment in time it would be a waste of time," said Martinez.
"The most important thing is to be as ready as we can for Saturday and then the two other finals we have in the league after that.
"It is the peak time for us. We want our fans to be proud of us and that is what we are fighting for.
"What goes around on the outside doesn't affect us. We won't lose any focus."
Everton manager David Moyes is expected to be announced as Sir Alex Ferguson's successor later today.
Our sources at ITV believe he will sign a five-year deal at Old Trafford, which he will announce to Everton players this morning and to the rest of the world this afternoon.
One of his first challenges will be keeping Wayne Rooney, who expressed a desire to leave Manchester United two weeks ago.
Moyes was Rooney's manager at Everton and sued the player for comments the striker made in his autobiography.
It is thought they have since made peace.
Manchester United said last night that the Rooney is not for sale.
Manchester United have insisted that Wayne Rooney is "not for sale" following a string of reports last night that he had asked to leave the club.
James Ducker of The Times and The Guardian's Jamie Jackson said Rooney had requested a transfer from Sir Alex Ferguson two weeks ago.
Rooney went to see Fergie 2 weeks ago & asked to leave.Was told he would not be sold. A #mufc spokesman said: "Wayne Rooney is not for sale"
Wayne Rooney asked SAF to leave #mufc a fortnight ago. Was told no. Spokesperson told the Guardian: "Wayne Rooney is not for sale".
The Daily Mirror's Ollie Holt added that Rooney's agents had been fielding interest from Bayern Munich, and, more recently, Chelsea.
Rooney's representatives been talking to Bayern for some time. Chelsea have only just made their interest known.
Rio Ferdinand has become the first current Manchester United player to react to the news of Sir Alex Ferguson's retirement.
The bosses work ethic, his desire to win + to make us better players were unrivalled. Thanks boss.
The Prime Minister has paid tribute to Sir Alex Ferguson - and suggested he could now help to make "life a little easier" for Aston Villa.
The Manchester United manager announced earlier today he is retiring, after 26 years in charge. David Cameron, who is a Villa fan, said Ferguson's contribution to football has been exceptional.