Service for killed firefighter

Firefighters in Manchester have been sweeping a burned-out shop with heat vision cameras to ensure every trace of fire is out. The blaze in the city's Northern Quarter killed one of their colleagues, Stephen Hunt, at the weekend.

Live updates


Police appeal for witnesses in fatal fire investigation

Greater Manchester Police are appealing for witnesses to come forward as they continue to investigate a blaze in which a firefighter died. Stephen Hunt was killed tackling the blaze on Oldham Street at the weekend.

"We continue to work with our colleagues from the fire service to establish how the fire started. Specialist family liaison officers are supporting Stephen's family...Following the arrest of the two girls over the weekend more information has been gathered and taking this information into account ... we have decided to take no further action against the girls at this time. Consequently, we have cancelled their bail. This investigation is likely to be protracted... the cause of the fire is one aspect, others are the fire safety of the building and the actions of the fire service"

– Chief Superintendent Russ Jackson, GMP


Police take no further action after fire arrests

The burned-out shop in Manchester's Northern Quarter Credit: ITV Granada Reports

Two teenage girls arrested over the death of a firefighter killed tackling a blaze at a city centre shop will face no further action, police said tonight.

Former soldier Stephen Hunt, 38, was part of a team responding to a fire at Paul's Hair World in Oldham Street, Manchester, when he and a colleague got into difficulties on Saturday.

Both were pulled from the building and taken to hospital but Mr Hunt was declared dead on arrival. The other firefighter was not critically injured.

Detectives questioned two 15-year-old girls who were arrested on suspicion of manslaughter and later bailed to a date in September. Their bail has now been cancelled, Greater Manchester Police (GMP) said in a statement.

The force added: "Following an assessment of the initial information gathered and the accounts the two girls have provided, a decision has been made to take no further action against them at this stage."

Family of deceased Firefighter visit scene of blaze

The family of a firefighter who died tackling a blaze in Manchester have been to the scene to pay their own respects.

They have described 38 year old Stephen Hunt as a loving father and a true gentleman, who was very proud to be a firefighter.

He was part of a team sent to the blaze at a warehouse storing hair products in the Northern Quarter on Saturday.

The main line of inquiry is a discarded cigarette may have caused the fire.

Two teenage girls have been arrested and bailed on suspicion of manslaughter.

Ralph Blunsom reports.

Load more updates Back to top

Latest ITV News reports