- 5 updates
The 62 year old man found dead by firefighters at his home in Wirral earlier this week has been named as David Thomson. Its believed an e-cigarette at his home in Wallasey exploded because it was being powered up by the wrong charger. Merseyside fire and rescue service have been in the area today warning neighbours of the dangers. Electronic cigarettes have been linked to at least eight fires on Merseyside.
There are fears of a link between e-cigarettes and a string of fires on Merseyside following the death of a man in Wirral.
Firefighters have issued the warning after discovering the body of the 62 year old at his home.
An investigation's found an e-cigarette exploded as it was being charged.
The fire and rescue service has been out today, telling neighbours how to avoid the potential dangers of the devices which have been linked to eight blazes in the area.
Rachel Townsend has this report.
There's a warning from Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service about the potential dangers of electronic cigarettes.
It comes following the death of a man in Wallasey after his e-cigarette exploded into flames and ignited oxygen equipment he's believed to have been using.
The 62-year-old was found dead in the living room of a property on Penkett Road in Wallasey, Merseyside.
While the exact cause of death is yet to be established, the subsequent fire investigation by Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service (MFRS) found that an e-cigarette that had been charging in the bedroom exploded, caught fire and ignited the oxygen tube of an oxygen concentrator, which may have been in use by the occupier.
There was a small amount of smoke damage to the property, though the small fire in the bedroom had been extinguished by the time firefighters arrived.
An inquest will be held to determine the cause of the man's death.
It is the ninth fire involving e-cigarettes on Merseyside alone since the turn of the year, MFRS said. It has launched a campaign to give help and advice on smoke alarms and the use of the devices and their chargers.
Myles Platt from Merseyside fire and rescue said: “The investigation into the cause of this fire is continuing but at this stage it is thought that the charging device being used at the time may not have been the one supplied with the E-Cigarette.
“We urge people to always use electrical equipment in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions and guidance, always ensure that no electrical items are left charging overnight or left unattended for a long period when being charged and do not mix parts from different E-Cigarettes.
“Only use the original charger or electrical cables supplied and ensure you purchase electrical items from a reputable source.
“We understand the impact tragic incidents such as these can have on families and the wider community. Firefighters will be carrying out community reassurance visits and highlighting home fire safety in the area on Friday, August 8.”
Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service is holding an awareness campaign to warn about the dangers surrounding the use of electronic cigarettes.
It's after a man died on Tuesday in a house fire in Wallasey, where an E-cigarette that had been charging in a bedroom exploded and caught fire.
The fire service said there have been nine fires involving E-cigarettes on Merseyside since January last year.