Police apologise to murder victim's family

Police have launched a murder investigation after the 18-year-old died in hospital following an early morning brawl on Flixton Road in Urmston.

Live updates

Greater Manchester Police apologise to murder victim's family

Greater Manchester Police has apologised to the family of teenager Rhyan Wilson, who was stabbed during a street fight in Urmston last weekend.

Rhyan Wilson

The force said it was sorry there had been a delay in confirming Rhyan's death to his family and a lack of support provided to them in the early hours after his death.

Assistant Chief Constable Ian Wiggett, said:

“In the desperate hours after an incident like this, the public has every right to expect the highest levels of compassion and professionalism from the police.

“Unfortunately, in this case, we acknowledge that we let Rhyan’s family down and did not provide the level of support and information that we should have done.

"[...] We have carried out a review of the service provided to the family and entirely accept that we failed the family in those initial hours.

“Clearly officers should always put victims and their families at the forefront of everything they do. This did not happen in this case."

– Assistant Chief Constable Ian Wiggett

A man has been charged in connection with Rhyan's death.

Arrest made by Rhyan murder detectives

Rhyan Wilson. Credit: Manchester Evening News

A man has been arrested on suspicion of the murder of 18-year-old Rhyan Wilson, who was stabbed to death in Urmston.

Greater Manchester Police confirmed late last night the arrest had been made.

Rhyan, from Stretford, was stabbed in the chest during an incident on Flixton Road in Urmston, Trafford in the early hours of Saturday morning.


  1. MEN Syndication

Friends of murdered teenager in Urmston hold vigil

More than 50 people gathered at the scene of the stabbing to pay their respects to Rhyan Wilson.

The impromptu tribute was organised through Facebook and social media and mourners young and old met up at Golden Hill Park in Urmston town centre.

Rhyan WIlsom

Candles were lit in Rhyan's memory.

Bouquets of flowers with heartfelt messages attached were placed at the foot of a tree and balloons were also attached to the tree's branches.

Police said today that investigations into the tragedy were continuing and a 25-year-old woman arrested on suspicion of Rhyan's murder was still being questioned.

Man, 18, dies after being stabbed in Urmston street fight

A murder investigation is underway after a teenager was stabbed during a street fight in Urmston.

Police were called to Flixton Road at 1.55am this morning following reports of a large number of men and women fighting.

The 18-year-old man was taken to hospital but died a short time later.

A 19-year-old man, was also stabbed in the same incident. He's in a stable condition in hospital.

In a statement today, police confirmed that a murder investigation was underway.

Flixton Road near the scene is expected to be closed for much of today.


Back to top

Latest ITV News reports