Murder probe after death of young boy

A murder investigation has been launched after the body of a young boy was found in a house in Wythenshawe.

Live updates

Police had visited house where toddler was found murdered

Police were called to a previous domestic incident two days ago, at the home where a toddler was found murdered.

The body of the boy, who has not yet been formally identified, was found in the early hours of today when officers went to a semi-detached house in Wythenshawe, Manchester.

Officers had responded to a report of domestic disturbance and it has emerged that police went to the address in Beaford Road on Friday after a similar incident.

Superintendent John-Paul Ruffle speaking to reporters Credit: Ann O'Connor

A 31-year-old man is being questioned on suspicion of murder while police are waiting to speak to a woman who is in a serious condition in hospital.

Both the man and woman had left the property to go to hospital by the time police arrived at the quiet residential area.

Superintendent John-Paul Ruffle, of Greater Manchester Police, said the investigation was at an "early stage" and he could not disclose many details of the case, including the age of the victim - although he described him as a young toddler - and the nature of the injuries.

A post-mortem examination is expected to take place later.

"We have had one previous domestic incident reported on August 25 and that investigation was still ongoing.

"A self-referral will be made to the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC)."

– Superintendent John-Paul Ruffle, of Greater Manchester Police

Murdered child was 'toddler boy'

Police are giving more details about their investigation after the body a child was found at a house in Wythenshawe.


Murder investigation launched after death of young boy in Wythenshawe

Police have launched a murder investigation after the body of a young boy was found in a house in Wythenshawe.

They were called to Beaford road at around 12.05am after receiving reports of a domestic incident. Upon arrival they discovered that a man and woman had left the address and gone to hospital. When officers entered the property they found the body of a young boy.

The woman is being treated for serious injuries in hospital.

A 31-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder and remains in police custody for questioning.

Formal identification and a Home Office post-mortem are yet to take place.

Superintendent Denise Worth said: “I know the community will be horrified and saddened to hear this tragic news this morning, and our thoughts at this time are with the family, friends and all others within the local community who may be affected by this incident.

“I want to offer my assurances that we have launched a full murder investigation and have a team of detectives working to establish exactly what led to this young boy’s death.

“Although we have made an arrest, the investigation is at the early stages and I would urge people not to speculate on this deeply distressing incident.

“There will be a scene at the property whilst officers investigate and you will see more police in the area in the coming days.

“If you have any information to pass on, or you have concerns, please get in touch with one of our officers.”

Boy found dead in house on Beaford Road
Back to top