Police want to trace thugs who smashed the windows of an ambulance as paramedics attended an emergency in Manchester.
At around 2.40am on Sunday 7 July 2013, a Rapid Response Vehicle was called to a house on Polefield Circle in Prestwich.
Whilst the ambulance crew were inside, offenders smashed the nearside window and stole a mobile phone.
Detective Rob Leacy based at Bury Police Station said: “We believe this was an opportunist thief who saw that the ambulance was unattended and thought it would be an easy way to try and steal something.
“This mindless act had serious implications and forced the ambulance service to take one of their valuable vehicles off the road and unable to respond to further emergency calls.
I would ask anyone who may have witnessed the incident or knows who may be responsible to contact us."
Campaigners will be heading from Manchester to Parliament today, to ask ministers to halt plans to sell-off Manchester's Ambulance Patient Transport Service to bus company Arriva, who are set to take over the service from 2013.
Over 14,000 people have signed a petition against the move.
The Shadow Health Secretary, Andy Burnham MP, has urged the Government to pause plans to privatise Manchester's Ambulance Patient Transport Service.
He said: "I want the health secretary to push the pause button on this issue and consider changes to the ambulance service within the context of any potential changes to the A&E network and emergency services in Greater Manchester more generally".
A family from Liverpool are considering legal action against medical managers. 82 year old Pauline Brown collapsed at her home in Liverpool but her son Carl waited an hour for an ambulance. He says that when paramedics finally did arrive, he was told they had been forced to take a tea break.
The son of a woman who suffered a stroke says he's planning to sue the ambulance service after he was told they were delayed for an hour taking a tea break. Carl Brown called them when he found his mother collapsed at their house in Liverpool.
North West Ambulance Service's new control centre which will officially be opened by The Duke of Gloucester - HRH Prince Richard later. The centre brings together the ambulance service's emergency and patient transport control functions covering the entire Greater Manchester area.