There have been 2 deaths linked to heroin containing anthrax in the Blackpool area. The Health Protection Agency have issued this advice:
“Anthrax can be cured with antibiotics, if treatment is started early.
Drug users may become infected with anthrax when heroin is contaminated with anthrax spores. This could be a source of infection if injected, smoked or snorted.
We urge all heroin users to seek urgent medical advice if they experience signs of infection such as redness or excessive swelling at or near an injection site, or other symptoms of general illness such a high temperature, chills, severe headaches or breathing difficulties.”
A second person has died in Blackpool after being infected with anthrax. The Health Protection Agency has confirmed they died in hospital after injecting heroin. It's the second death in the resort in less than a month. From Blackpool, our correspondent Ashley Derricott reports.