Britain's Got Talent winner Lance Corporal Richard Jones is set to honour servicemen and women with a sprinkling of magic in LiverpoolRead the full story ›
A former soldier, who lost both legs whilst serving in Afghanistan is taking on one of his biggest challenges yet.
Sgt Rick Clement, will abseil down The Big One in Blackpool later, to raise money for the soldier's charity.
He'll undertake the abseil with the help of a specially-modified climbing harness
Rick, 35, completed the Great Manchester Swim earlier this year and was also photographed by the Canadian singer Bryan Adams, with the images appearing in an exhibition on wounded servicemen and women.
His charity, a Soldier's Journey, has so far raised more than £20 000.
A soldier from Lancashire who lost both legs in Afghanistan has set up a charity to help other ex-servicemen returning from combat.
Rick Clement is using a jet-ski as a type of therapy.
Tim Scott has the story:
Scottish MP Angus Robertson has called for a fatal accident inquiry to be held into the 2012 RAF Tornado crash which killed three people in his constituency.
Speaking after a Ministry of Defence report concluded the accident could have been avoided if the aircrafts had been installed with collision warning systems, he said it was 'extremely distressing' for the families involved and 'damning for the MoD.'
He added: "It is scandalous that the MoD committed to a Tornado collision warning system in 1998, bizarrely cancelled it 12 years later, then changed its mind - but it was all far too late to potentially avert the fatal crash in 2012.
"There is now an overwhelming public interest case for a fatal accident inquiry."
An onboard collision warning system could have helped prevent a mid-air crash between two RAF Tornados in which a Merseyside man and two others died.
Flt Lt Adam Sanders, from Southport, was killed along with Sqd Ldr Samuel Bailey and Flt Lt Hywel Poole in the crash over the Moray Firth in Scotland in July 2012.
The men were all based at RAF Lossiemouth in Moray.
Investigators from the Military Aviation Authority (MAA) concluded the cause of the accident was "a lack of recognition of converging flight paths" which saw both aircraft in the same airspace at the same time.
In its 278-page report, published today by the Ministry of Defence (MoD), poor weather conditions and "shortcomings" of the risk management process were amongst some of the other 16 factors listed.
An MoD spokesman said the investigation found the lack of a CWS did not cause the accident but was one of a number of factors which made it "more likely to happen".
Falklands War Veteran Simon Weston is calling on businesses to employ more people who've served in the Armed Forces.
He's speaking in Rochdale at the Town Hell tonight ahead of this year’s Armed Forces Day celebrations on Saturday.
Councillor Alan McCarthy, from Rochdale Borough Council, said the event will show businesses how they can make a difference:
“Simon Weston is motivational and inspirational. His own life and career demonstrate how a positive mental attitude can achieve great goals.
Simon, who was badly burned when the Sir Galahad was attacked, will share his story, talk about his life and his message of single-minded determination.
Despite horrific injuries and the physical and mental suffering they caused, Simon Weston’s life is an example of personal triumph and courage.
A former soldier from Hyde who's wanted in the US on fraud charges is launching a final appeal against his extradition.
David McIntyre is accused of overcharging for security services in Iraq.
His High Court appeal's been rejected. The 43 year old has post traumatic stress disorder.
He'll now take his fight to European Court of Human Rights.
A former soldier from Hyde, facing extradition to the US to face fraud charges, is taking his fight to the European Court of Human Rights.
David McIntyre served with the Queens Lancashire Regiment in Northern Ireland, Bosnia, Iraq and Afghanistan.
Authorities in the US want him to stand trial on eight charges of fraud relating to a contract between a security firm he ran in Baghdad in 2009 and an American company working to prevent conflicts abroad.
It is alleged that McIntyre, who says he has been diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), overcharged the institute by 100,000 US dollars (£66,000). He denies the accusation.
The 43 year old recently lost a legal challenge to his extradition in the High Court in London. ,
A former soldier from Hyde has lost his legal challenge against extradition to the US where he is wanted on fraud charges.
Lord Chief Justice Lord Thomas and Mr Justice Cranston, sitting at the High Court in London, rejected an appeal by David McIntyre, 43.
The judges, who were told at a hearing in March that McIntyre is "at high risk of suicide", ruled today that there was no legal "impediment" to his removal to America.
McIntyre served with the Queen's Lancashire Regiment in Northern Ireland, Bosnia, Iraq and Afghanistan.
The US authorities want him to stand trial on eight charges of fraud relating to a contract between Quantum Risk, the security firm he ran in Baghdad in 2009, and the US Institute of Peace, which describes itself as an American "national security institution" devoted to preventing conflicts abroad.
It is alleged that McIntyre, who says he has been diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), overcharged the institute by 100,000 US dollars (£66,000).He denies the accusation.
He was serving as a Royal Military Police Territorial Army sergeant at Camp Bastion in Afghanistan in July 2012 when he was flown home to face extradition proceedings.
At the March hearing, Edward Fitzgerald QC, for McIntyre, argued there was convincing medical evidence that he was suffering from a mental disorder and it would violate his human rights if extradition went ahead because of the suicide risk.
He suggested McIntyre could stand trial in the UK. The US authorities opposed the bid to block removal.
McIntyre's supporters say of the extradition threat: "Is this really the way Britain should be treating its brave soldiers?"
The ex-soldier has said in an online blog: "If I was given an order to be extradited to the US I am fearful that I would take my own life as I would rather be dead then be locked up in an American prison away from my family.
"I think, after serving my country all my life, the least I can expect is to be helped with my PTSD and being allowed to prove my innocence in my own country."
But the judges said they were satisfied there was no "injustice" in the case.
Lord Thomas said there was "no conceivable basis" on which an application in the case could be made to the Supreme Court.
Work has begun to engrave the name of Lee Rigby and 16 other forces personel killed on duty in 2013 on Britain's largest military memorial.
The Fusilier, from Middleton, was killed by Michael Adebolajo, 29, and Michael Adebowale, 23, in a street in Woolwich, south-east London last year.
His name will be immortalised alongside 16,000 other military personnel at the Armed Forces Memorial in the National Memorial Arboretum in Staffordshire.
Stonemason Nick Hindle began producing the tribute yesterday morning and is expected to take several weeks to chisel the name of the murdered soldier, and 16 others killed last year, into the Portland stone walls.