A man has been arrested after a woman was allegedly raped in Barrow.
It happened between 3.30am and 4.30am today near the town's Dock Museum. Police say the man and the victim know each other. Officers are appealing for witness.
Organisers of a 'Winter Wonderland' event in Barrow have apologised after many attractions were cancelled due to bad weather.
Families took to social media to complain about the event at Hawcoat park which was billed as "Santa's magical grotto" including an ice rink, German markets and entertainment.
A statement issued on the Hawcoat Park Winter Wonderful Facebook event page said there had been changes to the planned activity list due to the wet weather.
It said: "Hawcoat Park are extremely sorry to report that due to the horrendous weather we've had over the last few days this has meant we have not been able to bring you some of the advertised attractions as part of Winter Wonderland.
"The onsite team have worked tirelessly to try and deliver as much of the programme as possible however, due to the conditions we are aware that all of the attractions were not ready when we opened today (Friday).
"As a result of the issues highlighted Friday ticket holders can choose to attend either Saturday or Sunday as an alternative."
Construction work will begin on the successor submarines that carry the controversial Trident missiles, the Defence Secretary has said.Read the full story ›
Police are investigating after a man was found dead in Barrow last night.
The man's body was discovered by a member of the public near a footpath on Channelside Walk. Detectives are appealing for information.
MPs have voted to approve a motion to renew Trident, the UK's nuclear deterrent.
472 MPs voted in favour of the plans while 117 voted against the motion to replace the four Vanguard class submarines with four new submarines which have been codenamed 'Successor'.
Production of the £40 billion fleet of submarines will take place in Cumbria at the BAE Systems plant in Barrow where 8,000 people are employed.
John Woodcock, who represents Barrow and Furness, has spoken to Granada Reports about being last the terror attack in France last night.
The MP had travelled to southern France to join in celebrations for the Bastille Day Holiday - the day the French nation celebrates its freedom.
He was just a few minutes away from being in the path of a lorry, driven by the attacker. The driver was shot dead by police, but not before at least 84 people were run down, including several children. Correspondent Amy Welch has this report:
Barrow and Furness MP John Woodcock has spoken to Grenada Reports after he was on the Promenade des Anglais in Nice, France, when a man went on a rampage in a truck killing 84 people.
Mr Woodcock, who travelled to Nice for a short break, said panic and fear had spread throughout the crowds as the attack unfolded.
I was on the Promenade des Anglais watching the fireworks for Bastille Day. Then we left and all of a sudden, people started running.
Barrow and Furness MP John Woodcock confirms he is safe in the French city of Nice following a terror attack where more than 80 people died.Read the full story ›
Two midwives failed in their care of a newborn baby, denying him the opportunity to be seen by a doctor before he died, it has been ruled.Read the full story ›
Police are appealing for information about a 49-year-old man who has gone missing in Barrow.
Stephen Harrison was last seen at his home address on McClintock Street at around 9.30pm on Sunday, June 5.
He is described as a white male, 5ft 10in, of slim build, with dark brown hair and tattoos on both sides of his neck.
Anyone with any information is asked to contact Barrow Police on 101.