Two midwives who worked at a maternity unit dubbed "seriously dysfunctional" face being struck off after the death of a baby boy.
Catherine McCullough and Gretta Dixon will face a NMC disciplinary hearing will over their treatment of Hoa Titcombe, wife of James Titcombe and mother of Joshua, who died days after his birth at Furness General in Barrow.
Last year an independent report found a "lethal mix" of failings led to the unnecessary deaths of one mother and 11 babies in the maternity unit at Furness.
Police are concerned for the welfare of a 14-year-old boy who is missing from Barrow.Read the full story ›
Police have released CCTV images in relation to an assault on a 63-year-old woman in Barrow.
The incident took place on Dalton Road on December 17th.
Police would like to speak to the person pictured in connection with the incident.
Anyone who recognises the individual or who has any information about the incident should contact Cumbria Police on 101 and ask to speak to PC 2369 Mottram or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
A Cumbria MP is calling for a separate police force to investigate how the case of tragic Poppi Worthington was carried out.Read the full story ›
The North West's biggest off shore windfarm will begin operating today in Cumbria. 108 turbines located 20km off the Barrow in Furness coastline will power 280,000 homes. The project has been supported by two of the largest installation vessels in the world and the UK's first purpose built offshore wind facility at Belfast Harbour. Over 1,000 people have been employed on the project.
Artful, the third Astute class submarine being built by BAE Systems for the Royal Navy, has successfully completed her first ever dive.
The milestone is in preparation for sea trials next year.
Barrow-born millionaire businessman Paul Casson has been successful in his bid to buy the town’s football club, subject to FA approval.Read the full story ›
Barrow MP John Woodock is campaigning to protect bowling greens later by making a speech to fellow MPs in Westminster. He says the greens are under threat from council cut-backs and private landlords selling out to developers.
The family of a dad-of-two from Barrow, who has been missing for more than two years, say they are still hoping he will come home.
The appeal came on the day Tony Bond would have been celebrating his 42nd birthday.
Tony went missing on November 9, 2012. Extensive searches were conducted in the area at the time, including local outbuildings, waste ground, reservoirs and the Furness coastline - but there have still been no positive information or confirmed sightings.
Detective Chief Inspector Bob Qazi said: “We want to be able to tell the family what has happened to Tony. They are desperate to know if he is safe and well or know his whereabouts whatever the circumstance.
“Tony left two children, Kai and Devon who still ask when their daddy will be returning home. It is a difficult situation for his family, who just want to have some closure.
Tony’s appearance may have changed from the picture, he may have lost weight or grown facial hair but we appeal to the public if they have any suspicions that they may have seen Tony, to contact us immediately.
“Tony is loved by his family and they hope that one day he will just walk through the door.
“We continue to believe Tony is still alive and may have left because of personal problems. It our wish that he just makes contact to let us know he is safe.
He is described as white, 5ft 10’ with mousey coloured shaved hair, and a rugged complexion. He was last seen in Schneider Road, Barrow in Furness, about 11pm wearing a black T shirt, blue denim jeans and a red ‘Berghaus’ type jacket.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Cumbria Police on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
Police watchdog the IPCC are investigating a crash which claimed the life of a motorcyclist near Barrow.Read the full story ›