Live updates

Teenager denies Syria terrorism allegations

A 19-year-old man from Blackburn has denied trying to travel to Syria to engage in acts of terrorism.

Ednane Mahmood is charged with disseminating a terrorist publication and engaging in conduct in preparation of acts of terrorism.

He appeared at Manchester Crown Court to deny the two charges after being arrested after allegedly attempting to travel to Syria to engage in acts of terrorism.

The teenager is accused of providing a service to others to enable them to obtain, read, listen to or look at a terrorist publication between June 1 and November 25 last year.

He is charged with providing links to poems and other propaganda, and at the time of doing so was reckless as whether his conduct would be a direct or indirect encouragement or other inducement to the commission, preparation or instigation of acts of terrorism.

Mahmood is further charged with the intention of committing acts of terrorism on or before September 21 2014 in that he engaged in conduct, namely planning to travel to Syria in order to engage in acts of terrorism.

He was placed on conditional bail until his trial date on October 26 at Manchester Crown Court.

Owner of dog that killed 11-month-old jailed for 18 weeks - 9 in prison

The owner of a dog that mauled an 11-month-old girl to death has been jailed for 18 weeks, 9 of them in prison.

Ava Jayne Corless, was mauled to death in February 2014. Lee Wright told the court his dog wasn't illegal.

Advertisement

Search for mum missing with her children

Amanda Mellor

Police are searching for a Blackburn woman who has gone missing with her two young children. Amanda Mellor, 36, and her two children, Love- Leigh Wright, 2, and Hope Wright, 3, were last seen on North Road at around 4.30pm on Thursday evening.

“We are getting very concerned about Amanda and her two children and if any has seen them or knows where they are then please do get in touch with us as soon as possible. I would also urge Amanda, if she sees this appeal, to make contact with us to let us know that she and her children are safe.”

– Simon Holderness of Blackburn Police

Anyone with information can contact Lancashire Police on 101 quoting log number 904 of 30th April.

Advertisement

Fresh appeal for information after man found dead in river

Detectives trying to piece together the last movements of a man who was found dead by a river in Blackburn have issued a photograph of him in a fresh appeal for information.

Alan Mcmillan, 60, from Audley, Blackburn was found dead on Monday 30 March in a canal overflow which forms part of the River Blakewater, close to the bottom of Alder Bank.

Officers are not treating his death as suspicious.

Detective Inspector Eric Halford said:

“If anyone recognises Alan from the photograph and thinks they may have seen or spoken to him in the days leading up to his death or if they have any information that could assist with our enquiries then please do get in touch with us.”

Blackburn boy due in court over Australia 'terror plot'

A 14 year old boy from Blackburn is due in court charged over an alleged terror plot in Australia.

It follows an investigation into an alleged plan to attack at events marking the centenary of the First World War Anzac landings.

He'll appear at Westminster Magistrates' Court accused of two offences of inciting terrorism overseas including inciting a beheading.

The teenager was held on Saturday on suspicion of being concerned in the commission, preparation or instigation of acts of terrorism. He was first arrested on April 2 but then detained again.

An Australian police operation saw five men arrested in all.

"The first allegation is that, between 15 and 26 March 2015, the defendant incited another person to commit an act of terrorism, namely to carry out an attack at an Anzac parade in Australia with the aim of killing and/or causing serious injury to people. The second allegation is that on 18 March 2015, the defendant incited another person to behead someone in Australia.

– Deborah Walsh, deputy head of counter terrorism

14 year old charged over alleged Australian terror plot

A 14 year old boy arrested in Blackburn has been charged in connection with an alleged terror plot in Australia. Police say the schoolboy is accused of inciting terrorism over seas namely, targeting events to mark the ANZAC landings 100-years-ago.

The boy who can't be named for legal reasons will appear at Westminster Magistrates' Court tomorrow.

Load more updates