A 14 year old boy arrested in Blackburn has been charged in connection with an alleged terror plot in Australia. Police say the schoolboy is accused of inciting terrorism over seas namely, targeting events to mark the ANZAC landings 100-years-ago.
The boy who can't be named for legal reasons will appear at Westminster Magistrates' Court tomorrow.
A 14-year-old boy from Blackburn is under arrest in connection with an alleged terror plot to attack war remembrance ceremonies in Australia.
Police here in the UK say investigations into the teenager led them to uncover a "credible terrorist threat" targeting events to mark the ANZAC landings 100-years-ago.
Five other teenagers have also been arrested in Melbourne.
Matt O'Donoghue has the story:
British Police have travelled to Australia as investigations continue into an alleged terror plot in the country.
Detective Chief Superintendent Tony Mole, from the North West Counter Terrorism Unit said the team would work with police in Australia to investigate the alleged plot.
It comes as a a 14-year-old boy arrested in Blackburn remains in police custody on suspicion of preparing for an act of terrorism in relation to an alleged plot in Australia.
A Blackburn teenager who is being questioned in connection with a terror plot in Australia was first arrested earlier this month on suspicion of preparing for an act of terrorism, police said.
Officers uncovered communication between a teenager in Blackburn and a man in Australia and the information was subsequently passed to Australian authorities, Greater Manchester Police said.
A force spokesman said the teenager was first arrested on April 2 on suspicion of preparing for an act of terrorism under Section 5 of the Terrorism Act 2006.
The arrest followed examination of a number of electronic devices and a search of an address in the town.
On Saturday April 18, he was further arrested on suspicion of being concerned in the commission, preparation or instigation of acts of terrorism, and is currently being questioned by police in custody.
In a joint statement, police in the Australian state of Victoria and the country's Federal Police said they "can confirm a link between the arrest of a 14-year-old boy in Blackburn, Lancashire, in the United Kingdom on Saturday with Operation Rising, a Joint Counter Terrorism Team operation."
"Investigators received information from UK authorities after they allegedly uncovered communications between the teenager and a man in Australia.
"The nature of the communication will form part of the investigation and therefore it would not be appropriate to comment further."
Counter-terrorism officers in Australia arrested two teenagers on Saturday on suspicion of planning an attack at an Anzac Day ceremony in Melbourne later this month. The plot is alleged to have involved targeting police officers.
The annual Anzac Day ceremonies - commemorating Australian and New Zealand Army Corps' First World War battle in Gallipoli on April 25 - take on extra significance this year as the centenary of the conflict in Turkey is marked.
A 14-year-old boy from Blackburn has been arrested over alleged links to a suspected terror plot in Australia, Greater Manchester Police say.
A 14-year-old boy has been re-arrested in Blackburn on suspicion of terror offences.
The youngster, who was previously held by anti-terror police on April 2, was rearrested yesterday on suspicion of being concerned in the commission, preparation or instigation of acts of terrorism and remains in police custody for questioning.
Police said the arrest relates communications with an individual in Australia and there is no immediate threat to the community in Lancashire.
“We have uncovered communication between an individual in the North West and a man in Australia to what we believe is a credible terrorist threat.
“As soon as this information came to light we acted quickly with the relevant authorities here and abroad and this has resulted with officers from the NWCTU arresting a teenager.
"The nature of the communication is currently under full assessment and subject to investigation.
"We are continuing to work closely with the police in Australia and Lancashire and I want to reassure the public that we have not uncovered an imminent attack in the UK and there is no immediate threat towards the communities of Lancashire, the North West and the UK.
- Anyone with information is urged to contact the Anti-Terrorist Hotline on 0800 789 321.
Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott has said that an "Isis-inspired terror plot" was believed to involve "attacks against police officers on Anzac Day".
He said: "There were a series of raids in metropolitan Melbourne. Five people were arrested. We are expecting three to be charged. Two will be charged with preparing a terrorist act. The act that we believe was in preparation involved attacks against police officers on Anzac Day."
Five teenagers have been arrested in Australia over an alleged Islamic State-inspired plot to attack an event in Melbourne to mark the centenary of Anzac Day, Australian police said.
Two suspects, both 18, are accused of preparing to attack the event, which included targeting police officers.
Another 18-year-old was arrested on weapons charges and two other men, aged 18 and 19, were in custody and assisting police, police said.
Officers said the alleged plot was inspired by the Islamic State terror group and was to have involved "edged weapons", although there was currently no information to suggest that it was a "planned beheading".
The arrests follow a major counter-terror operation on Saturday, involving some 200 officers in the city.
Anzac stands for the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps, and commemorates the First World War battle in Turkey on April 25.
A man from Blackburn has been charged with the murder of his wife. John Smith, 87, is due to appear before Preston Magistrates this afternoon.
Police were called to an address on Aberdare Close last Thursday. Marian Smith was pronounced dead at the address.