Blackpool Airport - which has roots in the infancy of aviation - closes to the public today.
There's still hope a new owner will be found to resurrect commercial aviation at some stage in the near future, but for now it's the end of long and proud history at the airport which was formerly known as Squires Gate Airfield.
According to www.controltowers.co.uk, Squires Gate Fields was chosen as the site for the resort's first aerodrome.
The first aviation meeting was held there in 1907, attracting 200,000 spectators.
The site was occupied by other uses, including a convalescent hospital for the The King's Lancashire Regiment, until after the First World War.
Flying resumed in the 1920's and from 1933 Squires Gate flew regular services to Liverpool and the Isle of Man but airline operations were later moved to Stanley Park on the other side of town.
During the Second World War, both Squires Gate and Stanley Park airfields were aircrew training and bomber manufacturing sites.
Thousands of Wellington bombers were built at sites all over Blackpool to assist in the war effort.
It's been claimed the pioneering aviator Amy Johnson flew her last flight from Blackpool and it is said she often flew in to visit her sister who lived in the resort.
In recent years the airfield was transformed into Blackpool Airport, a modern International airport serving domestic and European routes.
But after losing a number of airlines the business struggled to make money and owners Balfour Beatty announced it would close last month.
The last flight comes in from the Isle of Man shortly before 5pm tonight and the final departure, heading to the Isle of Man, will take off shortly afterwards.