Live updates

Double murder suspect detained under the Mental Health Act

Bernadette Fox
Sarah Fox

Merseyside police say a 26-year-old man arrested in connection with the murders of Bernadette and Sarah Fox in Bootle has now been detained under the Mental Health Act.

He was held by British Transport Police at Euston Station in London following a report from a member of the public and brought to the north west for questioning.

Breaking News: Bootle double murders suspect arrested in London

Bernadette Fox. Credit: Merseyside Police.

A 26-year-old man has been arrested in London on suspicion of the murders of Bernadette and Sarah Fox in Merseyside.

He was held by British Transport Police at Euston Station at 7.50am this morning following a report from a member of the public.

The suspect is believed to be Peter Fox, 26, the son of Bernadette and brother of Sarah.

Sarah Fox Credit: Merseyside Police.

"I can confirm that a 26-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of the murders of Bernadette and Sarah Fox this morning and is being brought back to Merseyside.

"A significant amount of work has been carried out throughout the weekend with the Metropolitan Police and British Transport Police and I would like to thank them for their assistance.

"I would also like to thank the media and the public for their support during the weekend, which has helped us enormously."

– Detective Chief Inspector Dave Rooney, British Transport Police

Advertisement

Murder inquiry after two women's bodies found in Bootle

The area of Sefton where the bodies were found Credit: GTV

A murder investigation is underway after the bodies of two women were found in the Bootle area of Merseyside.

Detective Superintendent Tim Keelan, said officers went to an address in Worcester Road after calls about the safety of a woman living there.

The body of a woman believed to be in her late 20s was found with multiple injuries.

He went on: “At about a 4am today (Friday 17 April) enquiries led officers to a property on Brookhill Road. When no answer was received the officers gained entry. A search of the property resulted in the discovery of the body of woman aged in her 50s.

“Both deaths are being treated as suspicious.

"At this time the causes of death have yet to be established and Home Office post mortems will be carried out. Formal identification is still to take place and officers have contacted the next of kin of the women. Family Liaison Officers have also been appointed.

"Officers from Sefton CID are leading the investigation, house-to-house enquiries are underway, both scenes remain sealed for forensic examination and a search is on-going in the area. CCTV is also being sought.''

“The investigation into these deaths is at an early stage and although the motive is unclear at this time, officers believe the offender may be known to the victims.

"I am appealing to anyone who has any information which could help us with our inquiries, especially anyone who has seen any suspicious activity around either properties in the last week, to contact the Major Incident Team on 0800 230 0600, or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.”

Grieving family's anger at their victim statement being ignored

Colin McGinty was stabbed to death in Bootle in 2001 Credit: Granada reports

How much of a say should relatives of a murder victim have on the future of the person who committed the crime?

Well a family from Merseyside say they haven't been listened to and they feel the system has let them down.

Geraldine and Peter McGinty's son was stabbed to death in 2001. But their attempts to make statements in person to parole board hearings about the killers' have ended in disappointment.

Our correspondent Ashley Derricott has been to talk to them to find out why:

Joe Benton to retire as Bootle's Labour MP

Joe Benton, Labour MP for Bootle, has today announced that he will retire at the next election.

Joe Benton has been MP for Bootle for 25 years

Joe Benton MP, said:

“Following amicable discussions with the Labour Party at Regional and Parliamentary levels, I have decided to retire. Therefore I will not be contesting the next General Election.

“I want to take this opportunity to express my deep gratitude to the people of Bootle for their tremendous support over the 45 years at both local and national level I have had the great privilege and honour to represent them.

I assure them I will continue to do so to the best of my ability for the remainder of this Parliament.

“I place on the record also my appreciation to the Labour Party for affording me the great honour of being part of the Labour team in its historic purpose in fighting for social justice.”

A Bootle Constituency Labour Party spokesperson, said:**

“We’d like to thank Joe for all his hard work and dedication over the years. He has been a fantastic MP for the people of Bootle.”

**

Lancashire football fan on bus journey to Brazil

There are already plenty of England fans in Brazil.

And thousands more will be descending on the country as the World Cup kicks off in a little over 48 hours.

For most they'll arrive by plane. But for one man Lancashire has chosen a more adventurous route.

And as Chris Hall's been finding out it's a journey that's been hitting the headlines across the South America.

Advertisement

£30,000 reward 10 years after Bootle father killed

Kevin Lavelle killed 10 years ago - reward offered Credit: ITV Granada Reports

A fresh appeal for information is being made ten years after the death of Merseyside father-of-two Kevin Lavelle.

Mr Lavelle, 29, died after arguing with a gang of Welsh railway workers at an Oxfordshire pub.

Kevin was from Bootle. He was beaten with an iron bar and died from a horrific catalogue of 50 separate injuries.

Mr Lavelle was attacked on the night of an England versus Portugal Euro 2004 match at the Cricketers Pub on 24 June 2004 while working in Banbury.

Up to £30,000 is now on offer to anyone with information about the attack in which Mr Lavelle suffered 50 injuries.

A trial at Oxford crown court in 2006 collapsed when members of the gang would not reveal who had struck the fatal blows.

DNA evidence found on the bar came from three men but it could not be proved which one had used it to kill Mr Lavelle.

In March 2009, an inquest returned a verdict of unlawful killing.

Tributes paid to young boxer Vinnie Holligan

Tributes are being paid to a young boxer who died in a hit and run on Merseyside.

Vinnie Holligan, who was 19, died after being hit by a car in Bootle yesterday.

Vinnie Holligan, who was 19

Tributes posted online read:

Shaunagh Moore: “I'm devastated. There was nobody like you Vin, nicest lad ever. Just said it how it is and everyone loves you for it, we will never ever forget you."

Amber Hughes: “I can’t believe the lovely lad I've known since he was a little boy has been so cruelly taken .... Rest in peace”

Norm Searchy: “What a lovely young man and great boxing prospect----RIP...From all coaches and members from Everton Red Triangle x”

A 23-year-old driver failed to stop at the scene, but later handed himself in.

He is currently being questioned by police.

Officers also want to speak to an off-duty doctor who may have vital information about the crash.

Load more updates